C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake /carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 10:38 PM
mm74ray
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake /carb

I have a low mileage 74 coupe with the original 454 and I will be trying to upgrade the breathing capability of the engine and still keep the original hood.
Any opinions on what Intake/Carb. setup I can use.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:16 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Intake /carb (mm74ray)

well, I came in here to give some suggestions, but I don't have the big block.

So, instead I will just say

Welcome to the Corvette Forum !

A BB owner will have to get this one for ya.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just corious..do the 74 big blocks come with cowl induction such as on the small blocks in that year? Do you have a q-jet carb on there now? How about sending it to lars for a prep. The CFM rating of the q-jet should be enough to make a nice performance piece provided its set up right. if the 74 has a cowl induction hood factory. I would stick with a stock height aluminum intake to keep that all functional. Definatly loose some big time weight with an aluminum manifold. Gain some better flow characteristics at the same time.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:56 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a low mileage 74 coupe with the original 454 and I will be trying to upgrade the breathing capability of the engine and still keep the original hood.
Any opinions on what Intake/Carb. setup I can use.
Well your choices are very limited. If your keeping the Oval port heads then your choices for anything better are an L-36 off of a 68-69 390hp vette like I currently run, it's aluminum with spreadbore pattern so you can run your quadrajet with it. It's slightly better then your stock intake but it's nothing great as far a a performance intake, but it will save you a ton of weight over the cast iron one you have now. Your only other choice is a Torker2 which is a small single plane and has a squarebore pattern so you can run any holley, demon, etc. on it. Neither intake choice is the best, but there's not much that will fit under the stock hood. I'll be swithing mine over to a torker2, 750 mechanical Demon shortly, from my current L-36, Quadrajet Setup.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

Get notified of new replies

To Intake /carb

Quick Reply: Intake /carb