C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual steering help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Black68Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual steering help

Well...

In the last year, I've replaced all tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, ball joints, control arms (vb&p transverse mono leaf kit, so tubular upper + lower :D). When the car is up in the air, and the tires are off the ground, there is pretty much 0 free play in the steering. On the ground and driving, theres somewheres between 1 1/2-2 1/2 inches (hard to measure). When I (sitting still) jiggle the wheel back and forth, I can hear a little clunking as I go from side to side across the seemingly dead zone. I'm not sure whether this is really what the steering is supposed to be like? Or should I try adjusting the worm gear? or just get the steering box rebuilt? Or something else? Help!

As an addendum, she does track straight on the road, even at speed, but has only been "eyeball" aligned since the replacement of the upper control arms....

Or is there anyone in the Tampa Bay area that knows what manual steering "should" feel like who can help me out?

:smash: :smash:

[Modified by Black68Vette, 9:55 AM 7/21/2003]
Old 07-21-2003, 01:32 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Manual steering help (Black68Vette)

Just a guess, but you named most everything but the rag joint. Drop a email to Jim Shea, the steering gru.

Quick Reply: Manual steering help