C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When buying an 80-82, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When buying an 80-82, what should I look for?

In the 80-82 years, where should I look for rust? (pics would help)
Is there anyway to tell if the frame is bent other than just looking at the fit of the panels? What are the top five areas to check?

:confused:
Old 07-20-2003, 11:03 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: When buying an 80-82, what should I look for? (Skyhigh)

Look for a '73-'74. :lolg:
I apoligize but I hate back-fire (cross-fire) fuel injection. I also hate electronic Q-jets (regular Q-jets too). Also hate catalytic converters. :mad
But those glass hatchback sharks are good looking - inside and out. :cool: :chevy
Old 07-20-2003, 11:05 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to this page and look at the "one", "two", & "three", links pages:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/gotvette.asp

Compliments of terry rudy.

For 80-82s it really no different than any other years typically. The rear end is different but can have the same issues as previous years set-up.

Rust in windsheild pillars, frame in front of rear wheels and radiator support area. My car was a Pomona, CA area car and was really rust free except for a little surface rust under the radiator support and a very little bit on the exhaust pipes.

Brent....
Old 07-20-2003, 11:12 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

If you don't want to deal with computer controls, stick with a 1980.
1981 was the first full year of computer controls on the Corvette.
1982 has the much maligned Cross Fire, which is usually put down by anyone who has not driven or owned one.

Top 5 things to check for all those years:
1. If it's a 1980, make sure it is not the 305 cubic inch California only car.
2. Check for rust along the inside of where the side frame rails meet the frame rails that go up and over the rear wheels. Inside that little pocket is a breading ground for serious rust.
3. Check suspension, brakes, and rear end. Get the car on a hoist and look for serious leaks or bad suspension bushings.
4. Test drive: see if the car pulls one way or another while driving or braking. make sure the motor is not smoking.
5. Make sure all the parts are there. Having to replace a smog pump system, air conditioning system or other major components can get expensive real fast.

Those and making sure the body is straight, the interior is in good shape and you enjoy driving it are the major things. Remember, it's a 20+ year car. Parts will break, you will be doing repair work, and it is very cool to drive a nice looking Corvette.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

If you can see dimples in the finish where the rivets for the headlight support are (forward of the hood) you have a fairly serious problem. Check the rocker channels by removing the kick panels and access plates in the rear fenderwells. Don't know much about year specific problems, sounds like others have described it pretty well. :cheers:
Old 07-21-2003, 08:16 AM
Fasteighty
Pro

Default Re: When buying an 80-82, what should I look for? (BSeery)

If you don't want to deal with computer controls, stick with a 1980.
1981 was the first full year of computer controls on the Corvette.
1982 has the much maligned Cross Fire, which is usually put down by anyone who has not driven or owned one.

Top 5 things to check for all those years:
1. If it's a 1980, make sure it is not the 305 cubic inch California only car.
2. Check for rust along the inside of where the side frame rails meet the frame rails that go up and over the rear wheels. Inside that little pocket is a breading ground for serious rust.
3. Check suspension, brakes, and rear end. Get the car on a hoist and look for serious leaks or bad suspension bushings.
4. Test drive: see if the car pulls one way or another while driving or braking. make sure the motor is not smoking.
5. Make sure all the parts are there. Having to replace a smog pump system, air conditioning system or other major components can get expensive real fast.

Those and making sure the body is straight, the interior is in good shape and you enjoy driving it are the major things. Remember, it's a 20+ year car. Parts will break, you will be doing repair work, and it is very cool to drive a nice looking Corvette.
:withstupid:
Old 07-21-2003, 09:06 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: When buying an 80-82, what should I look for? (cardo0)

I take it you have owned one and speak from personal experience or is this another hearsay story.

There are a lot of people who love their crossfires, if you don't like it, that's all up to you but please don't call it stupid names like cease fire injection etc.

Marck
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Default Re: When buying an 80-82, what should I look for? (Twin_Turbo)

Get yourself an '80 with a 502.

All previous problems will be solved. :blueangel:
Old 07-21-2003, 09:29 AM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

Ask for maintence records. I'd also would like to know how old the brake calipars are, possibly nogotiate the price down to accommodate a new set.
Make sure everything electrical works, look under the dash for any "taped" botched wires.
Other than what's already been posted, the only other thing you should look for is: MORE money in your wallet. (you'll want upgrades)
:cheers:
Old 07-21-2003, 11:13 AM
JimBR0
Burning Brakes

Buy mine and don't worry whether it uas a cross-fire etc. :)

Good luck, Jim

Old 07-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I take it you have owned one and speak from personal experience or is this another hearsay story.

There are a lot of people who love their crossfires, if you don't like it, that's all up to you but please don't call it stupid names like cease fire injection etc.

Marck
My buddie has one on his 84 and we had it all apart yesterday rebuilding it....His care runs VERY strong with the crossfire set-up
Old 07-21-2003, 11:26 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

No. I don't own a car with cross-fire injection . My only experience with it is Larry's (at work) shark won't run - backfires too much. Hasn't run right in five years. He wants to sell to me too but no thanks.
I've only owned a corvette for seven years but from my limited experience the cross-fire injection would be a model to avoid. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To When buying an 80-82, what should I look for?

Quick Reply: When buying an 80-82, what should I look for?