C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 08:55 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor?

I realized on friday night (just before the poker run :mad) that I had a broken motor mount (Drivers side, Metal was broken). So I need to replace them. I have found them at various diffrent suppliers, but I don't really know how I would go about changing them out.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

chris.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:21 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor? (PyjamaSam)

:skep: can you replace the motor mounts without removing the motor? :skep:
I dont know?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor? (PyjamaSam)

It's not real hard, but it can be a little tricky. Put a board under your oil pan and jack the engine up enough to remove the broken mount. Then (this is the tricky part) use a little Corvette yoga to get the new mount into position to bolt down. BTW, you don't need to jack the engine up much to get it in position for the swap.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:29 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Default Re: How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor? (Smokehouse69)

a lot of yoga you mean, its a pain in the butt to do that. but its possible
Old 07-20-2003, 09:41 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor? (gravismaximus)

I just replaced both of mine last month and it is a bit of a pain. you will need a long 3/8s extension and a swivel socket to loosen the bolts. Also check that the new mounts have an oblong hole for the long bolt to go through. The ones that I got only had a round hole and there was no way I could get the bolt in, so I had to remove the mounts and use a die grinder to oblong the holes. Also if you have the lower chrome shielding around your plug wires they can be a PITA as they mount to one of the motor mount bolts. The higher you can get your car off of the ground the better. Good Luck, Craig
Old 07-20-2003, 10:06 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.
Default Re: How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor? (Smokehouse69)

The oil pan can support that kinda weight. Hmm. Ok.

Any accessories that might be usefull to remove to make the job go a bit smoother.

chris.

Get notified of new replies

To How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor?

Quick Reply: How-To Question: Replacing motor mounts without removing the motor?