C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri-Power ?....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 08:30 PM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tri-Power ?....

As a lazy guy, I'm wondering if any of you other lazy guys can answer this question. The center carb of my '69 3X2 427/435 is leaking one tiny drop of gas from the accelerator pump on the center carb. I can see the head of the phillips screw but the intake manifold is preventing me from getting a screwdriver on the head of this screw. I had the bright idea of trying to tighten it with a narrow set of vice-grips or something similar from Sears. Has anybody ever tried this? Getting the center carb off is a time consuming job as I've done it about twenty times since I've owned the car. You have to start with the front carb and then the fuel lines and it's a good 1.5-2 hour job off and back on. I know the screw is loose but I don't know if you can tighten a screw with vice grips. The head of the screw is cylindrical enough to accept the jaws....so it might just work.

Any better ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:51 PM
Deuces Wild
Intermediate

Default Re: Tri-Power ?.... (fontking1a)

Can get mine out in about 15 minutes. You do not have to touch the front carb or the line going to it. I do take the line off for the back carb, loosen the lines at the center block and unscrew the line at the center carb. Unhook the choke,vacuum line, tri power linkage,and accelerator cable. It will lift up and out you might have to wiggle it a bit. Have had mine out a few times myself. I also carry 2 3/8in line plugs in case I have a front or rear carb go south when I'm on the road. Yes it has happened to me out of state. I put over 5,000 miles a year on the deuces. :D

Jon
Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tri-Power ?.... (fontking1a)

Thanks....I'm going to give your method a try. I've always pulled the front carb off first....ugh!!

Get notified of new replies

To Tri-Power ?....

Quick Reply: Tri-Power ?....