C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear leaf spring/body lean

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 04:01 PM
drs80vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear leaf spring/body lean

'80 vette, garage kept, 56k miles, it is in excellant shape so it's not a body mount or a shock etc. The left rear is lower by about 3/4". As a result the right front is raised a bit (body fenders). I have an after market rear stabalizer bar installed. Original stock spring. Will replacing the spring, probably with the fiberglass one, correct he body lean? Has anyone seen improvement with this common malady after installing a new rear spring? I tried adjusting the link bolts, tightening just one side, no change. Perhaps with driver weight and the battery, over the years the leaf spring looses something. I can notice the lean when standing behind the car. I seen worse but I've also seen better. Time for a new spring?
Old 07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: rear leaf spring/body lean (drs80vette)

I think all of the C-3's lean to the driver's side over time. The composite rear mono-springs have ride height adjustments on boths sides if you decide to get away from the old 7-8 leaf spring. And they only weigh about 7-8lbs compared to maybe 40lbs+ for the steel leaf springs. There's lots of good brands out there with different spring rates depending on how you plan on using your vette. I have one of the VBP versions. The monosprings are more expensive though.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:44 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: rear leaf spring/body lean (drs80vette)

I had the same problem with my '79. The stock spring settles over time. For a while I shimmed the left side up with a handfull of large washers but have since installed a VB&P fiberglass spring. I've heard that the fiberglass springs do not settle.
I would recommend that if you are going to get a fiberglass spring you buy the higher grade shocks than the KYB's, I'm not happy with the ride from mine.

Get notified of new replies

To rear leaf spring/body lean

Quick Reply: rear leaf spring/body lean