C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c blower motor output is terrible!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 10:48 PM
rparkervette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c blower motor output is terrible!

It seems I'm never satisfied with normal (always wanting more). Is there a better blower motor to put in my 68? Ive heard of people putting in c4 blower motors with a little shimming because they are deeper. The highest setting seems to compare to everyone elses low setting. Any suggestions and can you hop up a blower motor?
Old 07-19-2003, 11:02 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (rparkervette)

same thing with mine It wont even defrost the windshield It seems like there are leaks in the whole system. And I think you have to run a 1 inch spacer with the C 4 fan. I would like to know if this is true to.

[Modified by 78 Vette, 11:03 PM 7/19/2003]
Old 07-19-2003, 11:08 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (78 Vette)

I think there have been several discussions on how to install a C4 blower and the results were good. Do a search on blower motors and see what pops up.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:27 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

JUdging from my firneds' '86 just recently, I"d say the C4 blower motor and fan is a good step up mod.....HOWEVER.....I also have to note the amount of heat and corrosion on our old wiring to the motor, the high speed relay, and the ground wire off the motor frame...you need be sure that's all not dropping voltage......

on MY motor I noticed a ONE VOLT drop across the wire feeding the ground...
so in went a dedicated 10 ga wire from the blower motor frame to the engine intake manifold....cured THAT problem...then I measured from the motor HOT lead to the alternator output on high speed...about a 2 volt drop or so....
rewired the hi speed relay. ..soldered the wires on directly, and CAREFULLY remounted it to the top of the evaporator box to get it off the exhaust....
and replaced that funky hi speed 30 amp glass fuse/holder with a 30 amp green spade type lateer model fuse and nice new holder....cured that problem...near zero voltage....must have doubled the air output with those two changes....OF COURSE you have to prove about the airways NOT being blocked by leaves, dirt, crap....on the pressure side of the evaporator....hard to get to....very hard so much so, i'ts allmost worth cutting a 2" hole in the top of the housing, and cleaning it that way, and making an access panel to seal it up again ......since I have a convertible, I also eliminated/sealed shut the outside air door, and eliminated the interior flapper door...my car is in constant recirc mode....and frankly I"m still thinking of the C4 adaption...

GENE
Old 07-20-2003, 12:44 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (mrvette)

convert to the C4 blower motor and fan, and make sure all the seals in the system are good.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Arkansas Flash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (BSeery)

I put a C4 blower motor in my 78 a few months ago with a one inch spacer. It really helps a lot. I also sealed up the ducting under the dash with dumb-dumb to stop any leaks there. I also did the elcetrical mods that were mentioned in a previous post. As a result when we were on the 50th Anniversary Caravan, we had to turn the A/C down because the high fan setting froze us out :)
Old 07-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Delco replacment motors are somewhat better due to the way the motors are made. The new replacement fan is also a better design and is plastic. These two new parts are a direct fit and will help a lot. I haven't compared them to a late model blower but they are a definate improvent over the old ones.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:13 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (bluevetteman)

I put a new delco motor in the car and didn't think all that much of it. Need to go back and retrace some steps and check the wiring.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:30 AM
mfendley
Advanced

Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (dman535)

What is the best method for replacing a blower motor in a C3? It looks like you would have to remove a fender to get at all the mounting screws!?!?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (mfendley)

Take off the splash panel directly under the blower motor and you can reach up from the bottom
Old 07-20-2003, 09:39 PM
rparkervette
Intermediate

Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible! (Arkansas Flash)

OK next question, what year C4 blower motor and cage should I get? Do they come as a pair or do I need to order them seperate?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

They come as a set usually, and if you are in doubt with which brand try and find an AC-Delco one. Last time I priced an one I think I looked at an 90 motor and fan and it was about $63.00.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Arkansas Flash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a fan and motor assembly for a late C4 from The Last Detail a lot cheaper. 770-414-0077.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:47 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: a/c blower motor output is terrible!

Check what mrvette said to look at. Have you had the heater box out for a rebuild? I would almost bet that the heater boxes are full of leaves and crud and you aren't getting airflow like you should. Mine is bone stock, everything's been rebuilt and inspected to assure proper operation and it blows hard enough that if it's blowing in your face it's really annoying. AC works great. The key is to get everything clean so there's a good path for airflow, this includes taking the heater core and evaporator to a radiator shop for a cleaning in the hot tank and leak testing. Then assuring that the doors in the heater boxes are moving to their extents and sealing against whichever side they should, depending on what you are on. If your fan runs on all speeds, the airflow path is clean, and the routing is correct it will work.

-Justin

Get notified of new replies

To a/c blower motor output is terrible!

Quick Reply: a/c blower motor output is terrible!