C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont'start

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 03:37 PM
ct1969vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont'start

Jumped the '69 but it will not hold the charge. The battery is only a few months old. When I turn the key, the car clicks. Is this the starter, the alternater or something else?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2003, 03:52 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Car wont'start (ct1969vette)

I think sometimes plates break in them or something.

I've had batteries work fine when I start the car to pull out of the garage or leave my driveway. No slow cranking or any indication of impending failure. The next time I go to start it, either to leave for work after closing the garage door and getting in the car or stopping in a store, NOTHING.. no click or anything.

I also had a Toyota Corolla that would occasionally not start without a jump. Lights would be bright, horn would work, but it wouldn't crank. It turned out to be the nuetral safety switch. Why jumping it would make it start, I don't know, but once I bypassed it, I had no problems.

[Modified by isosceles, 3:54 PM 7/19/2003]
Old 07-19-2003, 04:52 PM
perk77
Instructor

Even though the battery is fairly new I would still have it checked, it may not be holding a charge. If the battery is good I would have the alternator checked, maybe it's not charging. I had that same clicking sound and it turned out to be a bad battery that was not holding a charge.

Doug
Old 07-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be as simple as a bad connection. Check all the cable connections at the battery, starter, and frame where the ground cable connects. Remove em, clean the cable posts and connection points with a wire brush, hook em back up and see what happens. Now I dont know the condition of your alternator, but even if it was bad, it wouldnt prevent you from jump starting the car. if a battery has a full charge, the car can run for a good while with a bum alt. Most often these problems are caused by a bad cable connection or a bad cable. Corrosion can get down inside the cable insulation and ruin the cable making it useless for carrying the current needed to start the car.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:11 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Car wont'start (Jvette73)

Also if it is the starter you can take it to a place like autozone and have them check it out for free. Same with battery & alternator. Only thing is you need to remove them all to bring it in.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:19 PM
ct1969vette
4th Gear

Default Re: Car wont'start (dogboy)

It was the battery. Tokk the battery to NAPA. They tested it and replaced free-of-charge. It's the 2nd NAPA battery this year.

Thanks for your help
Old 07-19-2003, 09:01 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a drain on your battery somewhere. I would get a disconnect switch until you find out if there is one. Could have been a bad battery to begin with also?

Get notified of new replies

To Car wont'start

Quick Reply: Car wont'start