C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@#%$!&* dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default @#%$!&* dipstick tube

Sorry about the vulgarities in my header, but, last night the brand new dip stick tube on my 69 350 broke off at the block while I was checking the oil level.

Looking over the exhaust manifold, I am able to see the end of the tube flush with the block. I am unable to reach it with any tool since the exhaust manifold and the ignition shield and spark plug shield are in front of it. I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion (short of pulling the manifold) as to how I might grab the remaining section of tube. It's tucked too deep for a pair of pliers to do the job from above the manifold.

Mark
Old 07-18-2003, 04:52 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: @#%$!&* dipstick tube (Burgandy 69)

Here's what i would try, buy a pair of reverse style needlenose pliers, (when you squeeze it opens) might have to bend or sharpen the tips so they bite. OR Try one of those long scribers with a 90 degree right at the tip, make sure it's sharp. hook it underneath and pull up. OR as a last resort drill it, but expect a little filings to go into the crankcase. not recommended. maybe you can hammer a small punch on one side and collapse the remaining tube and grap with needle nose. all these ideas require you get right in there. might not be able to with headers or exhaust manifold. Those are my ideas. I'm usually handy with crap like that. (which is why my hands are pretty much always cut up) :lol:
Old 07-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I said goodbye to my old dipstick and tube when I said hello to this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...57#largerimage
You might be able to grind enough off the tip to get it to fit but it is a very tight fit and has a o-ring seal. See if you can get the old peice out like Bloodvette says. You could try an easy out, it might grab it enough to pull it out.

[Modified by Fevre, 5:03 PM 7/18/2003]
Old 07-18-2003, 06:17 PM
Garys69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happenned to me. My dipstick broke off flush with the block. In 45 seconds I had it out. An E-Z out screw extractor works wonders on thin wall tubing (like a dipstick tube)

G69

Get notified of new replies

To @#%$!&* dipstick tube

Quick Reply: @#%$!&* dipstick tube