C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak"

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 02:11 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak"

I didn't want to believe him, but I am afraid he is pretty much right. I have recently done a poll in both the C-5 general and C-4 general sections. The polls ask "For those who dare to use car washes, ruleing out brush washes, only touchless. How well does your vette keep out water????" The results are proof. Even though the poll asked "For those who dare to use them" Majorty of the votes were to the effect of "NO CARWASH FOR MY VETTE" or "KEEP HIGH WATER PRESSURE AWAY" Although many said "I don't use touchless car washes because they damage vehicles" I have my own theory on why they don't use them. :rolleyes: I think the touchless car wash is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I run through them with vehicles under my care around 100 times a year, and have never had any damage from a touchless car wash.

As one poster mentioned "Any car with a removable top or a sunroof is bound to leak. So I guess it is true.

I didn't bother starting this poll in the C-3 section. I know how much sealing I had to do to get my 71 to keep water out when hand washed with low pressure. No need to worry about a car wash. :lol:

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to bash Corvettes. I love them all. I am just a little disappointed GM couldn't have done a little more to keep the water out.

Here are the polls if you care to see them.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=600889
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=600702
Old 07-18-2003, 03:59 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (LAvetteman)

your topic title is off somewhat. it should read, "it's not a real corvette if the tops don't leak, the dash doesn't creak, the doors don't rattle, the cowl doesn't shake and e-brake doesn't... well, brake!" :lol:
but i wouldn't have it any other way! :D :cheers:
Old 07-18-2003, 04:01 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (LAvetteman)

I had an '86 Z28 with TTops (when it was about 6-7 years old). Took it through the high pressure car wash. Once. :cuss Suffice to say never did that again! As for my '68 vert? If I were stupid enough to do this, I would install a bilge pump first..... :lol:
Old 07-18-2003, 04:05 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (clutchdust)

your topic title is off somewhat. it should read, "it's not a real corvette if the tops don't leak, the dash doesn't creak, the doors don't rattle, the cowl doesn't shake and e-brake doesn't... well, brake!" :lol:
but i wouldn't have it any other way! :D :cheers:
Could add "it's not a real corvette if the clock works"! Apologies to those that have invested time/money to fix the f'n thing. Mine has the right time, twice per day! :lol:
Old 07-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (68shark)

I had an '86 Z28 with TTops (when it was about 6-7 years old). Took it through the high pressure car wash. Once. :cuss Suffice to say never did that again! As for my '68 vert? If I were stupid enough to do this, I would install a bilge pump first..... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Got caught in a heavy down pour once in my 73 ragtop, needless to say a shower was not needed upon my arrival home. :(
Old 07-18-2003, 04:30 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (68shark)

:lolg:

Great replys !!!! Keep em comin.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

I don't drive mine even if there's a threat of rain. And when I wash it, I'm quick quick quick when rinsing the top. :lol: :lol:

Brett :thumbs:
Old 07-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Skeets
Racer

my '79 doesn't leak at all.... i take it through the car wash regularly.

It also does 60mpg and seats four in comfort. :jester

Howdy Joey! ... the heater vent is giving sterling service :thumbs:
Old 07-18-2003, 04:51 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (Skeets)

I hand wash my '72 vert on a front up incline with the top down, windows up and get less water in it that way then if the tops up. :yesnod:
Old 07-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (72GACRZR)

Getting caught in rain with the vette isn't fun. I got soaked trying it.

But there is one thing worse.......getting caught in a rainstorm with the top in the garage at home!! :lol: I got all kinds of interesting looks on the drive home in the rain. All I can say is that rain hurts at 60 mph.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:04 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (Skeets)

my '79 doesn't leak at all.... i take it through the car wash regularly.

It also does 60mpg and seats four in comfort. :jester

Howdy Joey! ... the heater vent is giving sterling service :thumbs:

Howdy Skeets, glad you are still enjoying a part of my 80. You are definelty the most long distance customer I ever had, glad I could help ya!!!! :thumbs: Hope things are well in England.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Skeets
Racer

Thanks Joey!

... things are good here in England... i'm off on a road trip to Somerset this weekend, the first long trip the vette's been on since i got her back on the road this month.... let's PRAY she give's me no trouble (apart from a horrendous fuel bill!) :D
Old 07-18-2003, 06:18 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Well unlike you guys, since my vette is my DD, I'm forced to drive in the rain, and I must say, it ain't fun. Each top leaks in the same place, right in your lap. And some how the water pools under the top, and when you take a turn it all comes gushing out!!!! :nonod:
Old 07-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (SCVetteGuy)

Look at Pg. 32 of your service manual(my vette used to be a coupe... remember?)... there's an interesting section about T-Top care and notes of NOT storing them in cold or humid climates as it will distort the seals. At least that's the page on the '74 manual I don't have.

Thanks to 68shark for adding on the famous C-3 *crock*.

Confusious says: Beware of Friday :jester
Old 07-18-2003, 07:06 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I've had my 79 for twelve years and in that time I've done everything I can to limit the leaks, but they do leak a tiny bit so i just resigned myself to look at all the things that the Vette does god and not waste my time worring about things I can't fix. All Corvettes leak water from the T-tops period! :rolleyes:
Old 07-18-2003, 08:09 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That was a wise man!!

I have chased down all but ONE elusive leak that plagues me. Even when I wash it by hand---there's the leak!

Now, doing 50 in the rain...........that's another story about driving with 1 hand, and holding a towel in the other.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:26 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (shoptek)

Hardtop off, convertible frame out of car waiting for new top. I can't drive unless there are nooooooo clouds for 500 miles :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak"

Old 07-18-2003, 08:51 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (theandies)

Hmmm... maybe all Vettes should come stock with towels!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:35 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak" (SCVetteGuy)

Also, it's not a true C3 if your feet aren't sweating.

If you can go 200 miles without stopping for gas, it's not a real C3 either. :D
Old 07-18-2003, 10:24 PM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine handles rain (the very rare times I end up driving in it) pretty good -- after a good bit of sealing of the tops and cowl area-- but I would never dare tempt fate by going through a high pressure car wash..........

Quick Reply: A wise man once told me "Its not a real corvette if the tops don't leak"