C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I used STEEROIDS and lost 15 lbs.(I still have binding) HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 07:39 AM
gotchashawn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I used STEEROIDS and lost 15 lbs.(I still have binding) HELP !

I just installed steeroids (lost 15 lbs, off the car) and got an alighnment. I like it much better , tight turns thru corners. but I can't seem to get the a smooth turn out of the steering ! I've pulled the colume shaft back , adjusted the guide bearing back and foward , gave additional beveling to the universals. Now I'm fustrated. :cuss is there something I'm forgetting or somthing else I should try to remove this binding ?? I remember seeing a thread on this awhile back, who had this problem and figured this out ??? :flag
Old 07-18-2003, 08:11 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I used STEEROIDS and lost 15 lbs.(I still have binding) HELP ! (gotchashawn)

Did you search the archives and past threads? I'm real interested in this thread as I will be installing Steeroids within the next couple of weeks. BTW Shawn, what's a crowsfoot?

Brett :thumbs:
Old 07-18-2003, 02:11 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: I used STEEROIDS and lost 15 lbs.(I still have binding) HELP ! (gotchashawn)

I have a little binding so I would like to find a solution too!

TTT

:lurk:

[Modified by mpro72vette, 4:53 PM 7/18/2003]
Old 07-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Ronny
Intermediate

gotchashawn

I also had a little binding even after doing the same things you have done, and what I did to correct this was cut about 1/2 inch off the steering column with a cut-off tool. Just remove the u-joint assembly from the steering column and rack then carefully cut the end of the column off. This will allow the upper u-joint to slide further up the shaft reducing the angle on the u-joints. Does the same thing as sliding the column further back.

Good luck :smash:
Old 07-18-2003, 02:47 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: I used STEEROIDS and lost 15 lbs.(I still have binding) HELP ! (Ronny)

HUUMPFH,....I did mine with just two universal joints, and collapsing the column since the angels were severe enough to avoid getting 'staked'...I also have a vibration dampner in there too...not that it's needed, really...

GENE
Old 07-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

You can also try to angle the steering column so that the end points slightly towards the engine. Loosening the steering column firewall bolts should allow you to do that. Also, be certain that the top of the pinion (coming off the rack unit) is flush with the inside of the lower u-joint yoke. If it isn't within about .06 to .08 of the inside of the u-joint it can cause angularity problems with the top u-joint.

If this still doesn't help, give us a call at 940 769-3804, e-mail at salescf@speeddirect.com or perhaps someone here on the forum has an innovative solution. For anyone with these types of issues, please let us know if we can help. Many times a couple of digital pictures can help us to figure out a problem quicker.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:52 PM
gotchashawn
Instructor

Bretmc- the crowsfoot I used on the guide bearing looks like these on ebay.com search item # 2423709589 , except 1 1/8 size. I dont have a digital camera yet , I'll probably get on on e-bay !! :lol: Ronnny- I thought about cutting off some from the shaft, but then worried about the guide bearing being at too much of a angle ! was this a problem ?? Today I'm gonna try Speed Direct's suggestions , Thxx ,Shawn :cool:
Old 07-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Ronny
Intermediate

gotchashawn

No it was not a problem. You will notice that the bearing will adjust more to the rear than it did before you cut the shaft. I did as SPEED DIRECT suggested and angled the shaft towards the motor, OOP's, ENGINE and almost got it smooth but I cut it off anyway Just don't cut off to much!!

Get notified of new replies

To I used STEEROIDS and lost 15 lbs.(I still have binding) HELP !

Quick Reply: I used STEEROIDS and lost 15 lbs.(I still have binding) HELP !