C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-pipe in front or behind X-member?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 01:43 PM
SAC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-pipe in front or behind X-member?

I just added headers (Dynomax) and I'm about to drive it down to the muffler shop. (Forgot how loud open headers were -- neighbors sure liked it at 10 PM last night) Anyways, I want to add an H-pipe. I've seen some with it in front of the X-member and some behind. I know for best performance you want it as close to the collector as possible but I'm worried about clearance. If you go too far back is it going to make a difference? Fore or aft what is going to make a difference on wrenching on other parts and what can help aleviate this?

Thanks
Brian
Old 07-17-2003, 01:46 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: H-pipe in front or behind X-member? (SAC)

It can be put in front of the x-member without problems. The tranny shop wont like you very much but thats their problem. :D
Old 07-17-2003, 02:08 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I went with an X-Pipe - behind the cross member. It CERTAINLY made a difference!!

Old 07-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an article on h and x pipes. Didn't re-read so might repeat something: a method to determine where to place the h or x is to take a crayon and draw a line down the exh pipe after the header for a ways back. Start the car and let it run till the crayon stops melting/burning. Where it transitions form melting to not melting is where you should place the pipe. Now since you are getting a whole new system I would think this isn't going to work for you but using the idea I would think placing the h pipe behind the x-member would be where you want it, pipes are still hot as hell in front when idling. BTW the artice shows the x pipe to be superior for both torq and h power but the h pipe did out do using nothing at all.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/69238/index.html
Old 07-17-2003, 02:53 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: H-pipe in front or behind X-member? (Fevre)

thanks for the article link Chris, I am intent on putting an X-pipe in within the next few weeks now after reading that article (was going with a simple H-pipe).
Old 07-17-2003, 05:00 PM
SAC
Instructor

Default Re: H-pipe in front or behind X-member? (Fevre)

Thanks for the article. I remember reading that in CC when it came out. The only thing I didn't like was they compared the h-pipe with a standard exhuast to an X-pipe with a very trick exhaust system. I wish they would have used the same exhaust throughout comparing no balance pipe to an h-pipe and then to an x-pipe. If I put the h-pipe aft of the crossmember the pipes are already pretty close together like an x-pipe. I'm also using my original 2.5" pipes from the crossmember on back so a h-pipe will cost me about $30. A x-pipe will cost $250 plus installation so that will wait.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I think if you are trying to extract every last HP out of the motor the position is critical. I put mine after the crossmember as a matter of easy removal. I had teh muffler shop put in a ball and socket fit so it comes apart easy. This was a good move as I have had it apart 3 times in 2 years for repairs. Mine cut down on the resonance from the exhaust.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:48 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: H-pipe in front or behind X-member? (Gordonm)

Ditto Gordon
Old 07-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Default Re: H-pipe in front or behind X-member? (Gordonm)

Mines just behind the x member and FWIW the paint melts off at that point.

:cheers:
Old 07-18-2003, 07:37 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got mine in front of the crossmember. By doing it this way you can retain the stock pipes from the crossmember back and easily revert to the stock configuration at a later time without changing out the entire exhaust system. It works well on my 4 speed but I'm not sure it would work with an automatic. Here's a pic to give you and the muffler guy an idea of how it looks. Almost forgot, my system is connected to Dynomax ceramacoat headers running into 2 1/2 inch pipes.

[Modified by vettfixr, 7:38 AM 7/18/2003]
Old 07-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Daniels
Advanced

that was a nice article about the h and x pipes. Should have read it 2 days ago... just got my h pipe.... :rofl:

Get notified of new replies

To H-pipe in front or behind X-member?

Quick Reply: H-pipe in front or behind X-member?