C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today

I've read through most of the archives about auto transport companies and have contacted most of them this morning. The rates are all over the place on shipping a '71 Coupe and I'm trying to figure out which way to go. From the archives it appears that AutoTrans Express & Passport Transport are highly regarded. Here are the numbers I am getting so far:

Shipper Enclosed Open Bed
Reliable.... $1155.00 .... No Quote
Passport... $1038.30 .... No Quote
AutoTrans. $1103.00 .... $919.00
DAS......... $1244.00 .... $950.00
ExpressAuto No Quote .. $695.00
McNutt...... No Quote .... $775.00

Anyone have any experiences with any of these? 2-3 hours from now I'm going to line up someone. I still have 3-4 I am going contact here shortly. Pop on in if you have any suggestions. Right now I am planning on going open carrier with Auto Trans Express even though they are not even close to the cheapest.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:24 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today (bgrice)

Is that covered or uncovered? To and from where how many miles? I am looking for a transport company this winter from Chicago to san Francisco.. I don't have any information but I would like to know who you use and what you think.

Oh this is my 100th post :hurray: OT Who has the most post anyway..
Old 07-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today (evilsmf)

evilsmf...

I ended up going with AutoTrans Express(Part of FedEx). Not cheap at all, but I just didn't trust some of the quotes that I got. They will be picking up the car out of the Springfield, Ohio area and shipping it door-to-door in Pearland, Texas... a total of 1135 miles. It could be anywhere between 2-4 weeks before it arrives. That will be on an *open* trailer hauler.

I was particularly not impressed with DAS who gave me one quote and when I said I would keep looking they offered somewhat cheaper to deliver it to a terminal. And as a last resort offered even a cheaper rate if I dropped the bumper to bumper coverage. That's like saying... "Here's the keys to my vette. Now go fukk it up". Jesh!!

I definitely could have gotten cheaper transport service, but this is just what I thought was best. I did run into a free-for-all auto transport board on the internet that might be worth bookmarking. I got two seriously cheap quotes off of that site after I had already committed. One gave me a quote of $675 in an enclosed trailer and another $695 open trailer. Maybe some are desperate... I don't know, but the board is very busy with people posting their car shipments they want done. Maybe a "Priceline.com" thing? Again... it might be worth looking into. Here's the site:
http://www.1staboard.com/
Old 07-17-2003, 08:59 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Good info ...Lets us know how it turns out :seeya
Old 07-18-2003, 12:45 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today (evilsmf)

After doing a lot of research, I used Weber Transports. They ship in enclosed, two car carriers, door to door, and at a lower price than almost any other carrier I was able to find. Very, very good service--car was delivered to me in one day, from St. Louis to Austin, for $750. No website, their number is 580-772-5224. They pick up and deliver anywhere in the continental US.

Whatever you do, DO NOT contract with the various companies that will come up with an online search. Most of them don't own their own trucks, but rather contract with independant truckers who use 10 car open rigs. Which means your car is exposed to the elements, could be dripped on by cars on the level above, gets moved every time they load or unload one of the nine other cars and, worst of all, it could take up to 6 weeks for them to deliver! They won't tell you that up front, but the trucker won't deliver your car until he has a full load, and then only after he's delivered the cars for destinations between where he fills up and where you are. If you look at the small print of the contract they'll give you, they all say that delivery can take up to 6 weeks--and all that time your car is in the open and getting driven on and off that car carrier. Bad news!

JB

Old 07-18-2003, 01:10 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today (JB)

JB...

It appears that your transport company is now taking advantage of the internet and I asked them for a quote tonight. I am not committed to AutoTrans Express until they actually assign the truck to the shipment. Here's their website....
http://www.webertransports.com/

Like you said... I did not trust most of the companies I retrieved off of the internet today and after talking to them I trusted them less. Two told me that the final payment upon arrival had to be cash as the driver might not be the one that originally loaded it. It could go from truck to truck to truck to truck as you said. One had an aol.com e-mail address. Another had an answering service that played like they were part of the company while they paged the website owner. Nope!

I would much rather deal with a specialized service like Weber if they want the business. Thanks for posting the information.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

As an update...

It's probably just the luck of the draw, but AutoTrans has already scheduled to have the vette picked up on Tuesday and have it delivered to me that Friday. They must have had a trip just about set.

For those who missed it, here's the '71 vette(black, 454 LS-5, Muncie 4 speed). What it will look like when it gets in? Good question! E-bay auction after all.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:22 PM
markyerger
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

My 2c
I would have to recommend Horseless Carriage for any transport.......period.
The previous Vette cost $555 from Wilmington DE to Clarksville TN in an open trailer (Autotransport.com)and my most recent was only $750 from Chicago Ill back to DE in an enclosed.
Can't beat that.
:seeya
Old 07-18-2003, 01:30 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Holy crap, Barry! Did I miss something here? Another C3, SWEEEEET!
So I guess you changed your mind on the C5? Are you still keeping your car? Did you win the lottery? :lolg:
That car looks pretty nice, I'd like to come by and see it sometime soon. After all, I can now DRIVE my vette over, hehe.
Congrats. :party:
Old 07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
69 427 3X2
1st Gear

I used Auto Transport and was VERY HAPPY! They brought my car from Florida to Kansas (and for LESS than what they quoted me over the phone).Do not even consider transporting your car unless it is in a closed trailer. You will be sorry when it arrives with rocks and dirt down in places that you did not even know existed. Pony up a few more hundred and do it right. Now is not the time to be cheap. :nono:

[Modified by 69 427 3X2, 5:21 PM 7/18/2003]
Old 07-18-2003, 07:23 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Well it's kinda late but here's my 0.02 I see a lot of Elite auto transport and Horseless carrage trucks on the New jersey turnpike, and their trucks are open but have tarps draw over the steel frames of the trailer so your car is enclosed and protected from the wind and weather and road dirt. Now i see a LOT of carriers up and down the NJ turnpike in open trailers and it is usually a corvette up in front of the load. I've always worried about what could happen to the paint from the dirt and sand flying all over the road as the truch hauls butt at 75 MPH rolling down the pike? Don't think I'd let my Vette go anywhere with one of these gyspy truck guys. :bb
Old 07-18-2003, 07:51 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today (killain)

My favorite and only shipper I use is

MY RIGHT FOOT

:steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering:

I looked into having my car shipped because I bought it out of town and couldn't believe the prices........ Personally I am going to drive my Corvette wherever I go! :thumbs:

[Modified by theandies, 6:52 PM 7/18/2003]
Old 07-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today (theandies)

theandies...

It crossed my mind to just fly up to Springfield, OH and drive it back. If it were only 300-400 miles I would do it as I could do it in the day time.

Travis...

It just happened that I now have the 2nd vette. I didn't think there was one way in hell that my bid would win it, but I've always wanted a '70-'72 454 4 speed vette. A good possibility that one of the vettes will go in the next 6 months being that I am single and really have no use for 2 of them. For now though, it appears for now that my truck is officially booted from the garage. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today

Quick Reply: Discussed before, but lining up a car shipper today