C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Inspection Step 1 of 75

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:22 PM
pingdashf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Corvette Inspection Step 1 of 75

I've had my vette for two years now, so I figured it was time to start maintaining it :crazy:

I found a nice step by step inspection on corvettefaq.com (http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm). It looks like its a very comprehensive inspection so I figure i'll learn a lot about my car and make sure she's in good condition by going through it.

Only problem is, I get lost on STEP ONE!!!

Step 1.. Grasp the outer edge of the fan and press it forward and backward to observe the clearance of the fan relative to the pump housing. Water pumps typically go from "loose" to "leaking" quickly, so keep an eye on them and listen for a dry howling noise to indicate bearings which are near the end of their life.

Questions about this step:

* Which is the "Outer Edge" of the Fan?

* What is a "Pump Housing?"

* What does the Fan have to do with the water pump?

* Where did the water pump come from in this question, or is this the "Pump Housing" refered to earlier in the step?

* How would the fan effect the pump housing?

* What is a water pump for anyway?

* When I look at my car the only thing resembling a pump near the Fan is the power steering thingy, so what clearance am I looking at?

* My Fan really doesn't budge, forward or back ( not that I'm sure which way forward is ) so I'm not sure how it would effect anything.

If all the steps are like this, I could be developing a real close friendship with a lot of people on the form :) Thanks for all your help guys.

[Modified by pingdashf, 5:22 PM 7/17/2003]
Old 07-17-2003, 12:24 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: New Corvette Inspection Step 1 of 75 (pingdashf)

:confused: are you serious
Old 07-17-2003, 12:28 PM
pingdashf
Racer

Default Re: New Corvette Inspection Step 1 of 75 (77Dream)

Take it easy. At least I'm trying to understand it all so I can treat her right. I'm a computer programmer, not a gear head. Yet.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:34 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Take it easy. At least I'm trying to understand it all so I can treat her right. I'm a computer programmer, not a gear head. Yet.
Not trying to sound mean or anything. Just sometimes people are joking and they figure everyone will know they are joking.

For example read this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=606973

He is joking, but if you didnt know any better you might believe him.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:36 PM
pingdashf
Racer

No, I'm not joking. I seriously don't know anything about water pumps, or where mine would be, or how the fan effects it.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Freepop
Pro

Take it to the shop

Seriously: the fan is the big bladed thingy
the pump is attached to the shaft that the fan is on
the other end of the pump is attached to the block
the block is attached to the heads
the heads are attached to the intake
the intake is attached to the carb

etc
etc
etc

[Modified by Freepop, 5:38 PM 7/17/2003]
Old 07-17-2003, 12:43 PM
77Dream
Drifting

The tips of the fan blades (farthest away from the center)

it is the case that the pump is in, usually cast iron or aluminum

the fan is bolted to the shaft going through the water pump.

* Where did the water pump come from in this question, or is this the "Pump Housing" refered to earlier in the step?
yes

If fan wiggle then seals on the shaft will need to be replaced soon.

Pushes water through your radiator so it cools off then goes back into the engine to cool it off. Keeps engine from over heating and you being stuck on the side of the road.

* When I look at my car the only thing resembling a pump near the Fan is the power steering thingy, so what clearance am I looking at?
Look at what the fan bolts too, that is the pump. How much the fan wiggles is the clearance. You dont want it too wiggle.

* My Fan really doesn't budge, forward or back ( not that I'm sure which way forward is ) so I'm not sure how it would effect anything.
Good, you are fine then.

Any more questions? :cheers:
Old 07-17-2003, 12:48 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

OK let's butt-u-me you want to learn, The first thing you need is a good general automotive repair book, so you can understand the basics and learn the terms.

Step 1.. Grasp the outer edge of the fan and press it forward and backward to observe the clearance of the fan relative to the pump housing. Water pumps typically go from "loose" to "leaking" quickly, so keep an eye on them and listen for a dry howling noise to indicate bearings which are near the end of their life.

Questions about this step:

Facing it I would say the right and left side

The metal of the water pump attached to the motor which is what the fan is sticking out of

It pulls air thru the radiator to cool the water and is onthe shaft the pump works from

The pump is in the housing

It doesn't, but the bearings it riding on will wear out causing it to wobble

To force the water thru your motor's water passages

The pump is what the fan comes out of, look at that point for the wobble or play

Sounds like it's ok

If all the steps are like this, I could be developing a real close friendship with a lot of people on the form :) Thanks for all your help guys.

Yeah, but help us out and get that basic automotive book.
:seeya :seeya
Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 PM
pingdashf
Racer

Thanks for your help. I guess the only other question is how much wiggle is bad. It takes me really yanking on it to get it wiggle, so I'm not sure if that counts as wiggle. Probably the only way to know that is experience.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 PM
77Dream
Drifting

I am a programmer as well. Thats why when i'm at work I have all this free time to browse the forum. ;) Just think of your car as a program that needs de-bugged. Everything makes logical sense, except for the smog system wich makes no sense at all :p:

You might want to go to an auto parts store and pick up an Chilton or Haynes manual. They have basic matinance procedures with step by step instructions and pictures. You can learn a lot from them.

:cheers:
Old 07-17-2003, 12:58 PM
pingdashf
Racer

Default Re: New Corvette Inspection Step 1 of 75 (72GACRZR)

Any suggestions on which book that would be?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:01 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Thanks for your help. I guess the only other question is how much wiggle is bad. It takes me really yanking on it to get it wiggle, so I'm not sure if that counts as wiggle. Probably the only way to know that is experience.
If you have to push/pull hard then you are fine. Its the loose slop that you are looking for. You are fine. Move on to step 2. :)
Old 07-17-2003, 01:06 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Any suggestions on which book that would be?
Chiltons manual for 68 to 82 corvettes or Haynes manual for 68 to 82 corvettes. Can be found at most auto parts stores. I recommend getting both books for reference. Its like programming books, you should always multiple sources of reference.

By the way, what kind of programming do you do? What language? I know a lot of different laguages. Jack of all laguages, master of none.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:11 PM
pingdashf
Racer

I actually have both the haynes and the chiltons for the car, I just never bothered to read them. Guess that would be a better first step than asking questions here.

As for languages, I'm in the same boat, know it all, don't know anything well. My current habit is C#, its gorgeous. Before that I knew TCL and Perl well, I know Anci C a little, played with Delphi and Ada95, and I've done hello world a few times in Java.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:13 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The Haynes manual for your car or any basic car care book at most book stores. Just go in and browse until you find one you like. There are a lot of inexpensive beginning auto repair type books on the self at borders in the transportation section. Being a geek, you may find something on the internet. Search auto repair, etc. Keep in mind it's basicly the same for all cars, with slight varations from maker to maker with want was used and where they put it.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:19 PM
77Dream
Drifting

The main languages I know are VB, Delphi and ColdFusion (web applicatoin programming). Though I have dabbled in pearl, java, C+ (havn't seen C# yet), asp, php and sap.... damn. The more I think about it the more I want a raise :lol: .
Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Freepop
Pro

FWIW, if I were you I'd also take a small engine repair class. I have seen many offered in adult education classes. This will give you the basics to pston, rings, valves, overhead cam, crank, seals, head, etc., etc.

That way you start out with one or two cylinders and then move up to eight and things won't seem too overwhelming. Lurk or ask questions at any site you see, that has gearr heads on it and in time your program will be debugged.

Good luck in your quest

[Modified by Freepop, 9:16 PM 7/17/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette Inspection Step 1 of 75

Quick Reply: New Corvette Inspection Step 1 of 75