C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before I do something silly...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Before I do something silly...

Have any of you guys used those R134a charge cans with a built in gauge on your A/C systems, do they work worth a damn? I bought one thinking I might be able to get the A/C to blow just a bit colder but do not want to overcharge the system and destroy something expensive, as most Vette parts are. My system is blowing fairly cold but I feel that it might be able to blow just a tad colder. Everytime I get ready to go out and attempt to take on this project I stop myself and wonder if I am getting ready to do something stupid. The can, of course has how you would read the pressure gauge but wouldn't the pressures be different for different vehicles? The gauge seems a bit generic after looking and thinking about it further. Any success or failures with these things from those in the mighty forum?

CVT4ME :cheers:
Old 07-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Before I do something silly... (CVT4ME)

Have you checked the air temp coming out of the vents? From what I understand a big problem with the c-3 a/c system is the fan is not powerful enought to circulate enough air to bring the temp down like newer more powerful fans can. You can adapt a c-4 fan to work, do a search on a/c or a/c fan and should find some good details.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:32 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use it on a Acclaim a couple years ago. System was completely drained, leak was fixed. We litteraly had frost on the windshield, but the fan only worked on defrost (windshield duct) so the car never got real cold. Your forehead would stay cold and you baldies would have loved it :jester
Old 07-17-2003, 12:38 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Before I do something silly... (Fevre)

Have you checked the air temp coming out of the vents? From what I understand a big problem with the c-3 a/c system is the fan is not powerful enought to circulate enough air to bring the temp down like newer more powerful fans can. You can adapt a c-4 fan to work, do a search on a/c or a/c fan and should find some good details.
I did a search and found nothing. Do you have more info on doing this conversion ?

Is it simple or something that would be a radical change to the car?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Before I do something silly... (BSeery)

Here's a good start:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=591641

No a/c for me, drop top or park if too hot. :thumbs:
Old 07-17-2003, 01:12 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Before I do something silly... (BSeery)

Later model blower fans have a bigger 'squirrel cage' impeller.
Conversion requires fabricating a spacer to hold the fan housing out
from the firewall an additional inch or so.

I searched - and couldn't find the post that I read before. :confused:

:seeya
Old 07-17-2003, 02:43 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Default Re: Before I do something silly... (Fevre)

Fevre,

Thanks for the input. I feel like I am getting quite a bit of air movement out of my vents, especially considering their size. Like I said, It is not bad in the car now, I am just looking for that little bit extra. I might be better served by getting dome tint on the windows, there is a lot of hot glass for the A/C to keep up with when the sun is full tilt. The other thing that I noticed with the A/C, is that the compressor seems to be cycling fairly quickly, every 20 seconds or so. Is this normal, or an indication of a low charge? I don't remember the compressor cycling that often when I first got the car, or maybe I just did not notice. I just had an exhaust leak fixed and I am hearing all kinds of things I had not noticed before. Thanks again.

CVT4ME
Old 07-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Fevre
Race Director

I am no a/c expert (I still have to figure out why the a/c in Formula doesn't work:)) but I did remember reading a few posts suggesting to measure your air temp coming out of the vents (36 deg is normal if I remember right) and that increasing the flow greatly increases the system output. Hope a few of the a/c experts chime in so they can answer your ?'s with a little more knowledge than i have. Also check out vettefixers website, I think he has a instructions on how to seal your airbox to improve system effeciency. Also, check to make sure your heater shut off is working when you kick the a/c on. For someone who doesn't know squat about a/c I sure can offer up a lot of suggestions. I bet an a/c check up tech paper would be of great service to everyone with a/c. I don't have a/c so i won't be writing it. ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Before I do something silly...

Quick Reply: Before I do something silly...