C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:47 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear?

I've decided to drive the BTO transmission till it dies,and have a local rebuilder make repairs due to BTO's lack of support.(Long story)
Anyway I'm on the way to work this morning and was on a back road running around 40 mph in drive.I wanted to hear some rpms for what ever reason,and shifted the transmission into neutral while still rolling at 40 mph,and goosed the gas to around 6000 rpms.It felt to me like the transmission was still in gear,though not all the way in gear. Kind of like slipping the clutch on a stick while reving up the motor.

Is this something all OD's do,or yet another indication my transmission is screwed up internally.Now at low rpms the neutral will not move the car,but when I rev it up,it definely is pulling. :mad
Old 07-17-2003, 11:09 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear? (The Money Pit)

Definatly not what 700r4's do. Brother's 88 has one.

David
Old 07-17-2003, 11:34 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear? (The Money Pit)

Not supposed to do that. :nonod:
Old 07-17-2003, 04:28 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear? (77Dream)

Mine does that. I do belive it is as a result of the increased line pressues and tightly packed added cluch material. The 3-4 clutch packs are weak and many hot rod kits add two extra clutches. All that closes the tolerances in the transmission and makes it grab tighter. Its really not to uncommon to see that in an automatic transmission. Friend of mine who us a professional wrench sees it all the time.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:36 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Default Re: Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear? (dman535)

:iagree: With Dman! All built up tranny's whether they are TH350's 400's or 700's that i have own. When they are new on a level road like at a stop light throw it in nutral and the car creeps forward.

The oil moving just like in your TQ converter is enough friction to cause movement.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:49 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear? (gkull)

When I shift into neutral and then goose the gas to 6000 rpms,the front end actually rises,and you can feel slight acceleration.After doing this the trans seems to shift eratically,but does recover to almost a normal shift after a few miles of easy driving. I thaught it may be a heat buildup causing valves in the trans to stick,but my temp gauge hasn't moved.
This evening when I got home from work I tested the temp sender with a meter and it reads the exact same resistance hot as it did cold. I don't know if the sender works or if the trans temp just isn't getting hot enough to swing the temp gauge. Grounding the sender will peg the gauge.The sender measures 77 ohms hot and cold if anyone has a TCI temp gauge,check it out and let me know please. This is driving me nuts!
:banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear?

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 700r4 ever run in neutral and still feel like it's in gear?