C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to identify Heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:30 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to identify Heads

I need to identify my heads so I know what type they are and what my compression ratio is. I have reason to believe that the performance heads installed by the previous owner were stolen by the rebuilder back in '86 :mad.
Anyhow do i have to remove the valve covers or can they be identified without removing anything. If the valve covers do need to be taken off can i put them back on with the same gasket, its the cork type.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:16 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: How to identify Heads (battsup)

Head ID #s are on the heads under the valve covers.....cork type gaskets probably will need to be replaced. Cheap insurance if ya ask me........ :yesnod:
Old 07-17-2003, 12:34 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to identify Heads (tnt76vette)

alrite then thanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:12 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

some heads can be ID by looking at the casting marks on the front of them. If you can take a pic, post it, and maybe someone can help. :cheers:
Old 07-17-2003, 10:04 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How to identify Heads (boredsoIstrokedit)

Ok thanks, I will take a picture on sunday when my dad comes back with the digital camera.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:17 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

This isn't always easy. For example, I have "double hump heads", so- called "fuelie heads". Problem is that the same casting number was used on smaller valve as well as larger valve versions of the same heads with the smaller ones used on 300hp engines, the larger (that I have) on 350hp engines. Identification of valve size/chamber size on such heads requires removal of the heads (sorry). However, the casting number is on the top of the head, as well as the casting date. Also, the front of the head will (or will not) have a casting shape which helps in identifying. A casting number book is handy to help sort out what you have.

Get notified of new replies

To How to identify Heads

Quick Reply: How to identify Heads