C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TKO folks...tranny mount height problem=broken weld???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 08:59 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TKO folks...tranny mount height problem=broken weld???

I installed my TKO at the same time I installed a new 383 so I am not sure where the problem lies, but I did notice some things when installing. I used the mount from bow ties overdrive and besides it being a overpriced, flimsy, ill-fitting POS, I noticed it raises the tranny up into the tunnel to the point where the tranny is almost in contact with the tunnel at the top. Anyone else notice this? I ask now because I was under there yesterday and noticed that one of the tabs that comes off of the crossmember to the mount had a cracked weld. I had to pull the mount and lay down a new bead. I did both sides of both tabs so it should be ok. But I am wondering if having the rear of the tranny so high has changed the centerline and screwed up the alignment of the driveshaft, thus causing vibrations (which I do feel some but don't know if it is the engine at 5000rpm or the driveshaft) which caused the weld to break.

Chris

Quick Reply: TKO folks...tranny mount height problem=broken weld???