C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a 180 in a vette

Old 07-16-2003, 05:16 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a 180 in a vette

One of many things getting installed is the Line Lock. Anyway they said this is the same setup(or could be) as stunt drivers use to spin around in there own lane..:cool: .Has anyone tried a 180 in there vette? Don't know if I would but. :skep: ...hum?

Spinning around with flames shooting out the sidepipes....I love this Forum!
. :hurray:
Old 07-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Doing a 180 in a vette (evilsmf)

Yeah it is real easy turn the wheel stomp the gas and 180 to 360 you will get without the aid of a power brake depending on how hard you stomp and hold :reddevil
Old 07-16-2003, 05:22 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

your talking my language, with slight brake application I've performed the above mentioned task. Works excellent on slightly granual coated pavement. ie sand. You have to travel slightly, that means you can't do it at a stand still otherwise the rear will jsut go downhill, whichever way is easier, or not move at all and jsut spin. It is an art to perfect, (i flunder once and again) but it looks really cool to be able to turn around on 2 lanes of pavement.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:27 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: Doing a 180 in a vette (bloodvette80)

or like alwyn says, turn the wheel and #$%^ing hammer it. That way is a little more out of control and makes you look like more of a nut. do some trial and errors! Be sure to post pictures or videos (careful some of the goody 2 shoes here will do a back flip when they find out that you actually spun your rear tires). I wonder if glutamine will have anything to add to this topic. I forget what his car looks like from the front and back because he's usually travelling sideways.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Doing a 180 in a vette (bloodvette80)

Most of the stunt cars are setup with the emergency brake and connected to only one rear wheel. This will spin the car very easily and quickly. If it is on a handle with no ratcheting or locking they can spin the car anytime and keep going. They also usually do it on wet pavement if you look closely. I'm sure they have other tricks also.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done 360 doughnut burnouts in mine a couple of times. Just turn the front wheel to the lock and punch it...as soon as both those back tires break loose and start spinnin...round and round you go... I went around 4 or 5 times once till the tire smoke was so thick I could no longer see. Pretty hard on the car though. I doubt ill ever do it again cause I cant afford to break anything or burn off the tread. Then again...never say never.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Now what would be really cool would being able to go along about about 45mph, do a 180 without leaving your lane and go.

J-turns are also really cool. That is going in reverse and doing a 180 to be going forward again in the same direction as you were going in reverse. Just go in reverse, push clutch in (or shift to neutral), crank the wheel, then shift into a forward gear and hammer it.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:41 PM
evilsmf
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Doing a 180 in a vette (Schmucker)

Now what would be really cool would being able to go along about about 45mph, do a 180 without leaving your lane and go.
Yeah that's what I meant...How would you set that up using a line lock? What need's to lockup can you select it via. dial, switch, between drag and spinout?
Old 07-16-2003, 08:46 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Pulled a 180 last fall by accident about a week before the winter that never ended started.Road was slightly damp and I hit the gas while turning right.I ended up pulling into the road I just pulled out of!
It was then I decided to park it for the winter. :eek:
Old 07-16-2003, 09:09 PM
lyndave75
Instructor

A friend of my older brother used to do 180's at about 60 mph regularly:eek: He is a wicked driver, and I have not been in on that ride personally( my brother has ), but his theory is as follows: Cruising @60, let off gas, veere to left about half a lane, swerve right fairly quickly to get weight on left tires, crank hard left, when weight transfers to right tires punch it and hold on!!!
I would want to do ALOT of practise runs in a beater before even thinking of trying this in the vette, and maybe start in a big clear parking lot. :cheers:
Old 07-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Install an adjustable proportioning valve and turn down the pressure to the front. With only back brakes functioning they will lock quickly and skid for a long time. Cruise along, lock the rear brakes, turn the wheel and around you go. Of coarse it would take practice and skill to remain in your own lane all the time. You gotta remember doing that on your old banana seat bike. I guess im old enough to have had one anyway.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:25 PM
pra4sun
Racer

My brother did a 360 in my Vette once. We were out on an old airport road, doing 1/4 mile runs. He just finished a run, and wheeled it around a little too fast. It spun right around in the loose pavement. It was wild! We still talk about it, it's just something we would never do on-purpose. :crazy:
Old 07-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

The only 180 I have done was not on purpose. Making a left onto a 4 lane road from a stand still, hit a very small patch of gravel, had almost done a complete 360 by the time it was over. THANK GOODNESS nobody saw me, only thing hurt was my pride, all this time I thought I was Mauricio Andretti.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Steve81
Instructor

Default Re: Doing a 180 in a vette (Maurice)

The only 180 I have done was not on purpose.
Me too. I was making a left turn and tried to shoot the gap between oncoming traffic, just got the new motor in and i was not used the the extra hp. when I broke traction i realized this is gonna be close. I had enough time to lift off the gas and reapply but had to do it hard in order not to get T-boned. I broke traction again and it sent me for a spin. Adding to this was my passenger door was must not have been closed all the way becauce it flew wide open during the spin.

THANK GOODNESS nobody saw me, only thing hurt was my pride
Wish I could say the same. I did it on a beauty of a Sunday afternoon at a very busy intersection with everyone stopping to watch the show :eek: :bb
Old 07-17-2003, 12:23 AM
WPEDirect
Instructor

No Vette stories here, but I did have a badbutt 1996 T/A. Was on my way to get the boss for a lunch date and caught the tail end of a yellow light on a hard left hander. I goosed it waaaay too early in the turn and started sliding before I was even out of the turn lane. Have you ever noticed that the driver 'animal instinct' takes over? I've never done anything like that before, but I jerked the steering wheel around and feathered the loud pedal enough to ride a smokin 360 and continue in the direction I was heading in - just like it was on purpose! Yah, there was lotsa people watchin. It was kinda like Undercover Brotha, 'cept I didn't have any orange soda...

:steering:

[Modified by WPEDirect, 11:25 PM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-17-2003, 01:51 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

jeez! you guys must be a bunch of wusses! :p: i steer with the rear wheels! very easy to do with posi and decent power.
as for burn outs, why is that so hard on the car? only hard on the tires. i did a 'donut' contest at willow springs last year. dropped the clutch and just watched the tach. kept it at about 3000 and rode circles until i cut tires down to the belts. just watch the RPMs and you'll be fine. car won't know the difference from cruising. :thumbs:

[Modified by clutchdust, 10:52 PM 7/16/2003]
Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Oh boy does this thread bring back memories. My first memory of a car was with my older brother doing donuts in his AMC Javelin untill you couldnt see anything from all the smoke. One time all you could see was the red and blue lights clearing through the smoke.

My next memories are when I was about 15 my sister bought a 1985 Corvette we used to sneak it out and listen to White Snake drive to the high school parking lot and come to a dead stop turn the wheel all the way to the left and hammer down I'll tell you what you better have someone watching because that car spun a 360 so fast it was amazing That car is still in her garage with about 58K miles on it.

This is going to **** you off but I used to do donuts in my 82 Corvette in my buddies back yard in the grass.

I had a 1967 Firebird with 16 inch Iroc wheels and 4 wheel disks I was mad at my girlfriend and spun donuts untill the tread slapped the side of the car, I had to stop and cut the strips of rubber off the tire so I could get it home without slapping the car to death.

Unfortunately my best 360's were performed in my late 1995 Dodge 4X4 Cummins extra cab. I could pull off 360's in the length of the wheelbase times 2. I always put on smoke shows at the street races people were amazed at the truck. Lotsa tickets in that truck.

I have done or tried to do donuts in just about every car I have owned. I am glad to hear there are some other fools out there having fun!!

:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Doing a 180 in a vette

Old 07-17-2003, 07:02 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

I haven't tried it ..yet, but I'm sure there are worse things you can do.

If you're going to do them purposely, then make sure you're in a deserted area with plenty of run out room in case you get off course. :D
Old 07-17-2003, 08:01 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Doing a 180 in a vette (isosceles)

W/ power you can easily do a 180 or 360 from a standstill. You need practice since you have to let off at the right time to be positioned correctly.

On wet roads many have wrecked Vettes at low speeds doing accidental 180s & 360s.

Slides at speed
A T/A for example can be thrown around all day.
A Corvette w/ IRS like ours wants to maintain traction for cornering. So when it gets into a slide it is trying to grab the road, when it does, you can expect to get a good twist on your back.

Power works.

:cool:
Old 07-17-2003, 09:08 AM
Tominator
Drifting

360 very easy from a stop as mentioned earlier, even with lower powered machines. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left (or right) push the gas petal all the way down and hold it but don't let it rev to high.

A big aid to the 360 is the positract rear end. My understanding is in a striaght line it wants both tires to spin evenly but in cornering it allows one wheel to turn more than the other. However from a stop with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left (or right) with hard acceleration both wheels can lock and it can cause rear wheels to break loose.

A neat trick at a corner (on a race track or under an professional stunt man supervision of course) turn the steering wheel more than normal hit gas hard not all the way and start around the corner and the backend will start to slid around a little.

[Modified by Tominator, 8:11 AM 7/17/2003]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing a 180 in a vette