C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transverse spring weight rating

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 05:13 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transverse spring weight rating

Okay, so we have one spring in the back that goes L <--> R. I just got a 360 lb./sq. in. composite mono spring that I'll put in my car in the next month or two (my whole car is a project.)
I know this will feel much better and more firm than my stock 9 leaf, but how do we tell how firm each side is?
I've had one friend say that since there is a fulcrum point in the middle, that both sides can get close to, if not the full, 360 lb./sq. in. rating. Yet another friend said that since the spring is long, some degradation in weight rating would occur side to side. Do we divide the 360 in half to get 180 lbs./sq. in. on each side? Is it another mathematical equation like dividing by 1.75 or 1.5 of the rating?
What does each side get rating wise? With my front 550s it's easy to tell; they each get their own spring.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transverse spring weight rating (1969Vette350)

There would be some calculation. From what I've been told, the fronts are different rating because of where the spring sits on the a-arm. I just can't remember the exact explanation.

:cheers:
Old 07-16-2003, 09:54 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Transverse spring weight rating (1969Vette350)

Ask Paul at VB this question.
I have read that composite springs have more "cross talk" than steel springs. I other words wheel movement on one side affects spring reaction on the other.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:06 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Transverse spring weight rating (Chris O')

The fronts are different ratings because the spring does not sit directly under the wheel but between the wheel and the pivot point. There is a leverage effect. By knowing the distance between the center of the tire and the lower A arm pivot point and the distance the center of the spring is from the same pivot point the real pressure can be calculated.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:35 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transverse spring weight rating

There is one thing I'll have to conclude; the 550/360 combo will feel better than stock :D Alright, I'll ask Paul my question. Thanks guys.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transverse spring weight rating (norvalwilhelm)

The fronts are different ratings because the spring does not sit directly under the wheel but between the wheel and the pivot point. There is a leverage effect. By knowing the distance between the center of the tire and the lower A arm pivot point and the distance the center of the spring is from the same pivot point the real pressure can be calculated.
That's what I mean't to say... :lol:
Old 07-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Transverse spring weight rating (Chris O')

Paul is no longer w/VBP. You'll have to ask Gary.

Get notified of new replies

To Transverse spring weight rating

Quick Reply: Transverse spring weight rating