C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Determining correct PCV rating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Determining correct PCV rating?

This came up on another board and I am unsure how to determine the correct rating for a pcv valve for an eng. I would imagine it would be somehow related to your vac at idle but want to know for sure so I can check both my cars.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:40 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Determining correct PCV rating? (Fevre)

When I went to buy one, I was told that all 327's (1968) use the same one, irrespective of fact that the 350hp version would have less vacuum at idle than the base motor due to the cam. My conclusion is that you just buy whatever one is listed for your engine, without concern about any mod's you've made. Good question though....and will follow this to see if I'm off base here.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:04 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Determining correct PCV rating? (Fevre)

I find to my desires anyway a LOT of oiling in the PCV line, and in the induction manifold passages... I have tried all sorts of trick to eliminate that, but to no avail....and this is on a bunch of rebuilt and even factory stock GM engines....especially the Chevy V8's....dunno why...just is....

tried all sorts of things...baffles, valves, what not...blowby doesn't seem excessive, but something is going on...

ca't be a pressure thing, BUT the lower rear portions of the valve covers...under oil that gasket is....seem to leak/weep oil no matter what I do for sealing....the Edel heads were not so bad as the stock one's thoug...but still leaked....

GENE

GENE
Old 07-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Determining correct PCV rating? (mrvette)

I have NO oil in the PCV valve or line or air breather... I have what seems to be, based on various methods of I.D the original PCV valve. I do get a very minute amount of oil under the Valve cover grommet. I think small blocks are different because I have had the problem you describe on other cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Determining correct PCV rating?

Quick Reply: Determining correct PCV rating?