C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:34 AM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit?

Follow up to water in the tank post.

I have order the new boot, nipple, drain line, gas cap, and sock from Doc Rebuild.

Can I install the sock from inside the tank if I can get my arm down there?

Sure would be easier not to have to drop the spare tire and sending unit.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 11:43 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit? (hudman)

The sock is pressed on, so nope. Taking the sending unit out is fairly easy, though. Just remove the spare tire carrier, turn the lock ring and it comes out.

I would recommend replacing the entire sending unit. I replaced mine a few years ago and it was only $75 and it comes with a new sock.

Old 07-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit? (zwede)

I think what zwede is trying to say is that the sock is a tight fit on the tube, and if you force it on without using two hands, you may damage the sending unit. If you can fit your arm in the tank, then you can certainly force it on... the sock is only plastic. I tried to fit my hand through the filler neck on hudmans 68, but my left hand (smaller than right) would not fit. Then I looked at my 70... and the filler hole is bigger... and my hand does fit.

You can clearly see the tube in hudmans 68.... it's within reach. I would wait to see if the fit is real tight, or just moderately tight. It depends on where you source the part.

An alternative is to remove the filler neck (held on by small screws), but then you need a new gasket and you probably didn't order that part.

The sending unit comes out easy if you know how, and it is sealed by a re-useable (if it's not rotten) flat o-ring. That may be the easier route. I'm going to NY (Binghamton, Syracuse, Auburn, Niagara Falls, Peekskill) for a few days, but I can help you with it at your place if you can wait 'til I get back. Let me know.

Tom
Old 07-17-2003, 07:47 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit? (hudman)

I replaced mine without removing the sending unit. I removed the cap, boot, and filler neck so that I was down to the top of the tank. You should replace the gasket for the filler neck because it's just cork and will dry up over time. Once I had all this off I removed the sock by twisting it back and forth "gently" until it came off the tube. The new one was installed the same way. Don't try to force it too hard or you'll bend the tube. Give it a try. If worse comes to worse you may have to remove the sending unit but it's worth a try.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:43 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit? (vettfixr)

I did not order the cork seal. I will just have to eat the shipping for another order because the more I think about it, the more I think that is probably the way the water actually got in the tank.

First, the boot is on backwards (nipple towards the front). The water would puddle in the boot and not drain out. The boot is also dry rotted and cracked. I am sure water would work its way through the boot and sneak into the tank through the worn out cork seal (I know the cork is worn out if the boot is worn out). I bought a new cap thinking that was where it was getting in, but not a new cork.

I guess I need to place another order before I fix her. . . .
Old 07-18-2003, 09:14 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd recommend replacing the sending unit and the filler neck gasket and seal bowl. You may want to replace the tank.
Open up top and bottom and thoroughly drain the tank. Thoroughly wipe the interior with a clean white towel. This wwill give you an idea of how much rust you have. Then decide if you want to do nothing to the inside, coat it with POR or an Eastwood product or replace it.
If you plan to keep your Vette for several years, replace the tank.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit?

Quick Reply: Can I install the new sock in the fuel tank without dropping the sending unit?