C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with a high volume/pressure oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 10:02 AM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with a high volume/pressure oil pump

Since my engine was rebuilt, almost a year ago, it has used a little oil. Once a month, I have to add a quart of straight 30W oil. Is this normal with a light oil, and high oil pressure?

My oil pressure when cold is 60 idle, and 80 driving. When the engine is fully warm, idle is 45, and driving is 70. This is a bit more pressure than my last engine ran.

I made sure to break the engine in properly, by varying the rpms when driving, and frequent oil changes.

The engine doesn't smoke, but it does have a very tiny oil leak, I suspect from the valve cover or maybe the oil pan; maybe the bolts just need to be re-torqued. When I park, sometimes there is a spot of oil about the size of a dime. However, I leak much more power steering fluid than this, yet it seems I am adding oil more often than power steering fluid.

So my thought was that maybe with such high oil pressure and thin oil, it was common to have some oil loss. Or, do I have a bad problem? :cry

Thanks! :seeya
Old 07-16-2003, 12:04 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Question for those with a high volume/pressure oil pump (shotgun_000)

I run a higher oil pressure than you do and I have never had the car use any oil.....I do run 10w40 though
Old 07-16-2003, 01:57 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Question for those with a high volume/pressure oil pump (shotgun_000)

Since my engine was rebuilt, almost a year ago, it has used a little oil. Once a month, I have to add a quart of straight 30W oil. Is this normal with a light oil, and high oil pressure?

My oil pressure when cold is 60 idle, and 80 driving. When the engine is fully warm, idle is 45, and driving is 70. This is a bit more pressure than my last engine ran.

I made sure to break the engine in properly, by varying the rpms when driving, and frequent oil changes.

The engine doesn't smoke, but it does have a very tiny oil leak, I suspect from the valve cover or maybe the oil pan; maybe the bolts just need to be re-torqued. When I park, sometimes there is a spot of oil about the size of a dime. However, I leak much more power steering fluid than this, yet it seems I am adding oil more often than power steering fluid.

So my thought was that maybe with such high oil pressure and thin oil, it was common to have some oil loss. Or, do I have a bad problem? :cry

Thanks! :seeya
Mine (69 350/350) has about the same issue - except that it uses a bit more oil at highway speeds. My pressures are almost an exact match for yours. I also have a leak and I am not sure if it is the pan or rear main. I was running 10W30 Mobil 1, but that seemed a little thin for an older engine and since I have been loosing oil, I decided to go with 15W-50 Mobil 1. Leaking has definately slowed down, but still there. It has a chrome pan (I have never liked them), so I will probably change it and while I am there, I will probably change the rear main at the same time.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:08 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Question for those with a high volume/pressure oil pump (pws69)

i always runs high pressure high volume and have never had a consumption problem my pressures are around yours or a bit higher.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say yur using straight 30w. i was using castrol 20/50 in my truck and it burned off a qt every 500 or so. then I switched to Mobil1 synth and the minor consumption stopped. dont know exactly why but I guess the synth doesnt burn off the cylinder walls like the dino does. if you switch to synyh Mobil1 10w/30 theres a goiod chance yur comsumption rate will go down. Itworked for me. The synth oil is ten times better anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those with a high volume/pressure oil pump

Quick Reply: Question for those with a high volume/pressure oil pump