C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam

Has anyone tried it? I've decided to take the ZZ502 to fuel injection and really like the looks and numbers on this unit. I have not seen the dimensions on it, so I'm not sure if it will fit under my L-88 hood or not. I know that getting cool intake air to it will be a bit of a challenge, but can be done.

Suggestions welcome.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...30&prmenbr=361

Dave

Old 07-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam (Rolling Thunder)

I have Accel Calmap 6.32 in my Formula and it is nice to be able to fiddle with it as needed as opposed to burning a chip like a stock GM system requires. Only down side is the t/c lock up funtion sucks, not sure if they have addressed in the 7.0 version. Guessing you are running a manual trans so that won't matter. I would think it would fit under the L-88 hood and allow for a wrap back around cold air duct like I am planning in vette with an LT1 intake and supercharger.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam (Fevre)

Good point on the TC lock-up so I'll check into that. I do have a Bowtie Overdrive 700R4. I think I'll be looking at building a fresh air chamber to bring in outside air.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Fevre
Race Director

The o/d funtion only works by rpm's so you have to set it low enough not to cycle on and off on the e-way. I am having a problem with it engaging the t/c in 2 gear no matter what the gear I have shifter in. I have it set to turn on at 2000 and when the rpm's hit 2k in second it kicks on causing it to bog which makes it drop below 2k and it turns it off and repeats the cycle. :mad I put a switch in to turn it off manually but every once in a while I forget to turn it off when coming off the high and everyone around me gets a good laugh at the guy with the car that runs like a POS. I plan on putting in a diff shifter with a button mounted in the handle so I don't have to reach for the switch. Another bonus of having a manual switch is that you can click it on in 2 and 3 when you want to and it is like having a manual trans, the car just jumps when you hit just like my 4 speed in the vette. :yesnod:

[Modified by Fevre, 10:00 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 11:49 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I looked into this before I got my EFI setup. I'm not 100% sure, but from my measurements it didn't look like the big-block superram would fit under a L88 hood. The problem was the front where there wasn't enough clearence.

I also was told the Accell 6 system isn't very nice to work with (DOS interface). The accell 7, FAST and commander 950 are much nicer.

I settled on the Commander 950 system as it did all I needed it too and was significantly cheaper than FAST or Accell Gen7.

You can take a look at my webpage for the install story.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:11 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam (zwede)

Go here http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/ubbthreads.php and scroll all the way down to the EFI/Fuel injection and Engine Controls forum.

They area great help.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:34 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam (BSeery)

Forgot to mention I think the best thing about the aftermarket FI system, at least the accel 6, is that it has an overview screen that displays rpm's, digital vac reading, coolant temp, coolant temp correction, air intake temp, air intake temp correction, adv, O2 sensor reading, O2 sensor correction, etc. I know feel like I am not getting all the info I need when driving the vette.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:49 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

I purchased a unit off Ebay 1.5 years ago. It was pictured in a C3 vette for the auction, but the hood was not shown. I have not gotten far enough to work on the engine and DFI yet. That prices does not include the tuning software. You will need to purchase separately. I am assuming the control software is being sold with it. One word of warning, I've heard that this unit is no longer being offered. There was a post in the Engine Mod section a while back of someone trying to order this through JEGs, and being told that it was not available. Arizona Speed and Marine still have their unit, but it is more expensive.
Good luck! TPI style intakes on BB's are :cool:
Old 07-16-2003, 09:44 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, I received this from Accel a while back, and saved it because it sounded interesting. Gen VII based, bolt-on, precalibrated EFI systems for Chevy crate motors. If I were building an EFI 502, I would definitely go this route.

-Joe

[b]
Cleveland, Ohio (March 2003) ACCEL/DFI announces the availability of a Plug-N-Play Pre-Programmed Fuel Injection System for 350, 454, and 502 GM crate engines. This system is perfect for street rods, street machines and sport trucks, providing direct hook-up for crate engines with no fuel calibration needed. It also allows flexibility to change with your engine conditions.

The Plug-N-Play systems allow you to enjoy all of the advantages of Fuel Injection: including increased horsepower and torque, better driveability and dependability, improved fuel economy, and lower emissions. These systems have the flexibility to be reprogrammed to accommodate bigger cams, larger throttle bodies or different heads ? unlike competitors systems that are not upgradeable. Dyno tests on a 502/502 GM crate engine with the DFI Plug-N-Play system showed a 60+ Horsepower gain at the rear wheels compared to a carbureted engine. For ultimate performance, Dual Sync systems are available which increase mid-range power and driveability, provide better fuel economy, and the lowest emissions when used with a wide band oxygen sensor. Five basic systems are available for the GM 350, 454 and 502 Crate Engines as shown on the chart below. Other systems in development include the Ford GT40 and Chevy ZZ4 engines. For more information visit the DFI web site http://www.mrgasket.com

APPLICATIONS:

PART#: DESCRIPTION
77454O: 454 CI Plug-n-Play for Crate Engines (Pro Ram Oval Port)
77454S: 454 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Duel Sync Small Cap Distributor
77454W: 454 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Wide Band 02 Sensor
77454WS: 454 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Wide Band 02 & Small Cap Duel Sync

77454R: 454 CI Plug-n-Play for Crate Engines (Pro Ram Rect. Port)
77454RS: 454 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Duel Sync Small Cap Distributor
77454RW: 454 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Wide Band 02 Sensor
77454RWS: 454 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Wide Band 02 & Small Cap Duel Sync

77350P: 350 CI Plug-n-Play for Crate Engines (Street Ram)
77350PS: 350 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Duel Sync Small Cap Distributor
77350PW: 350 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Wide Band 02 Sensor
77350PWS: 350 CI Plug-n-Play w/ Wide Band 02 & Small Cap Duel Sync

77502O: 502 CI Plug-n-Play for Crate Engines (Pro Ram Oval Port)
77502S: 502 CI Plug-n-Play W/ Duel Sync Small Cap Distributor
7502W: 502 CI Plug-n-Play W/ Wide Band O2 Sensor
77502WS: 502 CI Plug-n-Play W/ Wide Band O2 & Small Cap Duel Sync

77502R: 502 CI Plug-n-Play for Crate Engines (Pro Ram Rect Port)
77502RS: 502 CI Plug-n-Play W/ Duel Sync Small Cap Distributor
77502RW: 502 CI Plug-n-Play W/ Wide Band O2 Sensor
77502RWS: 502 CI Plug-n-Play W/ Wide Band O2

FOR PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS, please visit our website at http://www.mrgasket.com and hit the "Ask Tech" button.
TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS MAILING LIST, please reply to this e-mail with the Subject "Remove". Thank you!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:32 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam (Flareside)

:seeya Hi Dave !!!

How's the car coming along ? It's nice to see that your still looking at modding it and not leaving anything untouched :jester .

Old 07-16-2003, 03:52 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Hi Dave-
I think the high limit from the BBC front china wall is 10 1/2" for the L-88 hood on the C-3.
You can't use the Ramjet because it needs around 12" clearance......
Arizona Speed and Marine and Street and Performance both sell BBC adjustable EFI that looks like the Ramjet, but will fit under the L-88 hood on the C-3 if you get the shorter runner units.

:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 07-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam (MassVette)

Thanks for the input Chris.

Gregory, I called JEGS and they have several units in stock ready to ship. I would have ordered it tonight had it not been for Mike's (MassVette) info on the height of the unit. Salley Chevrolet is marketing the 502 with this same unit on top of it. Looks awesome and the HP numbers are nice going from 502 to about 560. Not sure how much of that is attributable to the DFI, the only other difference is the roller tip rockers.

Joe - I love the sound of "Plug and Play", I'll keep that in mind. It is really what I ought to go with, I just was awed by the looks of the Super Ram.

Mike (SmokedTires) - You know me too well! Too much is never enough and if it ain't broke, just give me a minute! :lol The car is coming along very slowly but progress is being made.

Mike (MassVette) - Thanks for the heads up on the height issue. I have not yet seen the dimensional cut on the Super Ram, but it looks (may just be wishful thinking) a little shorter than the GMPP Ramjet unit. If the only interferrence is the front end, I may have to just modify the L-88 hood. With the rest of the things I've done to the car, a nice set of nostrils on the hood wouldn't be out of the question. :D I'll check out the other options you mentioned.

I guess I have some more head scratching to do before I make the call.

Dave
Old 07-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Okay guys, the decision is made. Thanks to your input I selected the ACCEL DFI Pro Ram "Plug & Play". I also got the Summit 10% discount that Bryan posted about here on the forum. $300 savings ain't too shabby! :cheers: Big Brown truck headed my way! :D

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam

Quick Reply: Accel Digital Fuel Injection / BB-Chevy SuperRam