C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight support brace broke loose, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Default Headlight support brace broke loose, now what?

There is a metal brace that supports the back mount of the headlight pivots and it has broken loose from the fiberglass. Now the headlight is below the surface of the body. How do you fix this problem?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:51 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Headlight support brace broke loose, now what? (Duke94)

You need to get a new piece. Not that hard to do. Just take your time. Check for used parts.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:03 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Headlight support brace broke loose, now what? (Duke94)

I believe the metal support is bonded to the fiberglass and you can rebond it with epoxy. Craig
Old 07-15-2003, 10:54 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Headlight support brace broke loose, now what? (CF6873)

Unfortunately two years ago I had the same problem. Mine rusted completely out which caused the headlights to dig into the rear fiberglass when opening and closing. I purchased a new one from Paragon. I researched various adhesives and found PL Preium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive to be my choice. I contacted their engineers and explained what I was going to bond and they told me it was excellent for that, provided I followed the following steps: sand off any paint on the new support bar and under the fiberglass where the two will be attached. Then wipe with a good grease cleaner, I used Simple Green Automotive. I then made sure I had enough c-clamps and cardboard cushions to help clamp it in place as it dries. The main thing is rehearse your steps by placing into the area where it goes and check that the bolts on the side that attach it to the front of the wheel wells lines up. I did mine by myself but it may helpful to have an extra hand. I reccommend the above adhesive, I just checked mine the other day and it is just like the day I put it in. I bought this adhesive in Home Depot (2 cauking tubes). Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Headlight support brace broke loose, now what? (bl75vette)

I replaced my Headlight support too. I used 3M Superfast eurathane(sp?). The product was recommended to me by Bairs :thumbs:
Old 07-16-2003, 04:59 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Default Re: Headlight support brace broke loose, now what? (Stewart's74)

I have to bond the support in completely. I'm also using the 3M #08115 bonding adhesive. You'll need the special gun for this though and they are expensive-$125. The body supplier in my area loans them out like Auto-Zone does with their tools,so look around if you go that route.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight support brace broke loose, now what?

Quick Reply: Headlight support brace broke loose, now what?