C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam break-in and oil recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 01:55 PM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam break-in and oil recommendations

I am almost halfway thru my cam replacement (XE268H comp cams camshaft). 79 L-48 NOM 90K miles, block is bored over 30thou and decked (no ID numbers on front tab). I suspect the previous cam was not broken in properly, seller rushed to finish intime to sell for a divorce.
My original plan was to run synthetic oil. I am being advised that perhaps a heavier grade conventional oil may be best for a block with these miles. What do you guys recommend? This will be a weekend driver (hopefully).
Also, anybody have any advice regarding breaking in the cam. Do's & don'ts etc. (Hydraulic lifters & roller rockers.) Tricks of the trade etc.
Thanks in advance for any & all help. Great Forum!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Cam break-in and oil recommendations (pik)

For cam break in use a petroleum type of oil. Not synthetic. Coat the cam and lifter base with the cam lube that should have come with the cam. Once the engine has fired keep it at or slightly above 2000 rpm for at least 20 minutes. I ran mine for 30 minutes to be safe. After that the cam should be broken in. I ran petroleum oil for the first 100 miles then switched to synthetic and have had no problems at all. I drained the oil after the initial 30 minutes of running then changed again at 100 miles. This will get all the trash and lint from rags left over out of the engine. I changed again at 500 miles. Then you should be OK from there.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:24 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Re: Cam break-in and oil recommendations (Gordonm)

For cam break in use a petroleum type of oil. Not synthetic. Coat the cam and lifter base with the cam lube that should have come with the cam. Once the engine has fired keep it at or slightly above 2000 rpm for at least 20 minutes. I ran mine for 30 minutes to be safe. After that the cam should be broken in. I ran petroleum oil for the first 100 miles then switched to synthetic and have had no problems at all. I drained the oil after the initial 30 minutes of running then changed again at 100 miles. This will get all the trash and lint from rags left over out of the engine. I changed again at 500 miles. Then you should be OK from there.
:iagree:
Old 07-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Glutamine83
Racer

Default Re: Cam break-in and oil recommendations (WydGlydJim)

i don't know how my cam was broken in, but I ran 10w-30 conventional oil for the first 1000 miles, then switched over to 15W-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic, and everything is fine and dandy, I know have 2400 miles on the engine
Old 07-15-2003, 09:18 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

:iagree: Also, it is always a good idea to break the cam in with lighter valve springs. Be GENEROUS with the lube supplied, and some people swear by the GM EOS Watch carefully for overheating, and make sure you can keep it running for the reccomended time period. Possibly fire it on a timing light, and make sure the wires/plugs are run correctly. Check with the man. recomendations, too.

[Modified by boredsoIstrokedit, 8:20 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I run straight 40wt conventional oil and hold it around 2Krms for 20 minutes. I drain the oil and change the filter and replace w/ 10W-30 conventional oil. I drive it for about 500-800miles then drain and switch to Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Cam break-in and oil recommendations

Quick Reply: Cam break-in and oil recommendations