C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 01:53 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy

I've been lurking in the C-3 section from time to time as the style is growing on me and spreading faster than I would like :) I love my 67 and it will always be my first love but I've been looking thru the papers for a good deal on a C-3 to keep but if I hit hard times I could sell and not take a loss. So I ran across a so-called 46K original 1970 LT-1, yellow and blk coupe. He is asking 18K but I'm sure he will put the 16K in his pocket if cash is shown. It sounds like a deal but I have not confirmed everything and want to get the groups opinion so let me put it this way. What is a 1970 LT-1 coupe in driver condition with most numbers matching worth? In my experience the cars all turn out to be dogs so I would like to know what a LT-1 driver is worth on the open market, not what a Jack#$# is willing to pay ProTeam :lol:

Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (polyrocks)

I've been lurking in the C-3 section from time to time as the style is growing on me and spreading faster than I would like :) I love my 67 and it will always be my first love but I've been looking thru the papers for a good deal on a C-3 to keep but if I hit hard times I could sell and not take a loss. So I ran across a so-called 46K original 1970 LT-1, yellow and blk coupe. He is asking 18K but I'm sure he will put the 16K in his pocket if cash is shown. It sounds like a deal but I have not confirmed everything and want to get the groups opinion so let me put it this way. What is a 1970 LT-1 coupe in driver condition with most numbers matching worth? In my experience the cars all turn out to be dogs so I would like to know what a LT-1 driver is worth on the open market, not what a Jack#$# is willing to pay ProTeam :lol:

Thanks
I resemble that remark. :bb
Old 07-15-2003, 02:11 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (Fevre)

As the saying goes...Fools and their money will soon be parted :D

Old 07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

I would be very careful on an LT-1. They are hard to confirm. Hopefully it has a buildsheet, or other documentation. There are some other ways, like the tach, and a few other items, but they can be faked. If it is all there, 16k is very good , depending on condition. Also if it is not all there, some items are extremely hard to find. Experts feel free to way in here.
Just my $.02!
:cheers:
Old 07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Why don't you checkout http://www.vettefinders.com and see what some of those 70's are going for to get a good idea
Old 07-15-2003, 02:48 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (Van Steel)

Geez, you guys are being brutal to Fevre! A vette's worth what it's wortth to you, and while I do think Proteam's usually a little overpriced, I imagine they will bargain with you & some folks like the security of buying from a reputable specialty dealer.

As far as the LT1 is concerned, I concur with the advice so far. Check the usual C2-C3 trouble spots, and get a knowledgable mechanic to go over that motor, check compression, etc.--LT1's often got a lot of abuse since they were the hot engine at the time. $16K for a driver condition LT1 seems reasonable to me, but not a great deal.

JB

[Modified by JB, 1:49 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (JB)

Thanks JB! I did overpay but it was before I found the forum.

BTW Get a base model vert and stick a more powerfull crate eng for a bout the same $. Might not get it back but you will more than get your money's worth in cruising with the top down. :thumbs:
Old 07-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (Fevre)

Depends on your intent - if you are looking for investment, make sure the car has proper documentation. As stated above, you could buy a big block car for less, have alot more fun with it, and are more likely to get your money back out of it. LT-1s are harder to verify from regular SB cars than BB cars (since there are a lot more obvious differences between BB and SB cars). It's a buyers market so you should be able to do better on the price. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:08 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (Marks69BB)

Thanks for the inpout guys. I have looked around and the prices are across the board on these cars. I have some of the easier identifiers to look for and a few club friends that could help me with the hard to notice items. Since people seem to think 16 is just an OK price I guess 14K would be a deal. It's obvious tthat anything below that would constitute a steal if you look at all the regular vette websites dealing in used cars.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:50 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Well ther was 1287 of the LT-1 built? So i'd be real sure to check out the LT-1 part real close to make sure it's what it's cracked up to be. Otherwise, I'd say 12 to 16K is a good price depending on the condition and only you can decide on how straight it is! Could be a good deal? :yesnod:
Old 07-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (killain)

If the car is legit, 16k for a solid driver with most correct parts is actually a good price, and maybe even low, especially if there is significant documentation. The correct alternator for that car is worth over 1k alone based on what I am finding. The car can be returned to Top Flight status, even with a NOM and they are a well sought after, desireable car. I spent a 'few bucks' on a NOM that sat for 24 years and she is now a solid driver (still needs an overhaul) and have no qualms about what I spent.

If you need advice as to points to check out, values, etc, holler. For the best advice, look up RowdyRat (Stan).

PS: Vettefinders says a 70 coupe in average condition is $16,700. The LT-1 should be closer to the $20k + if it is in average condition. They list average as:

The Average Price represents a street driven Corvette with good curb appeal from a distance. Close examination may reveal that the Corvette has minor paint, chrome and/or interior deterioration. It may also have a motor who's originality (matching numbers) is in question.

A Top Flight coupe should be in the $32k range.

[Modified by Robert N, 5:19 PM 7/15/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 08:42 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (killain)

I would just hate to reveal what I have in my 72. It is only for me and will never be for sale. :skep:
Old 07-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (OHSIXX)

Maybe it's just me, but now seems like a great time to have some extra cash on hand to maybe pick up a bargain. As long as buyers have the thoughts of "I think I might be able to get it cheaper next month" prices will stay depressed or you won't find many sellers in the market. I won't even guess what the average price of a C-3(LT-1 or not) is right now.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:21 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (bgrice)

I'd pay $16K for 46K mile original 70 LT-1 in good driver condition. Maybe not a steal but I think well worth the money.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:24 PM
rollavette71
Instructor

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (bgrice)

I agree with RobertN - I think $16K is a very good price if it's in good "driver" condition. My '71 SB with the base 270 hp engine is a nice "driver" and apprasised for $18.5K a few weeks ago.

Hank
Old 07-15-2003, 11:59 PM
polyrocks
Racer

Default Re: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy (rollavette71)

Thanks for the replys guys and I'm jsut waiting to here back from the seller... I'll keep you posted :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy

Quick Reply: Not just fishing, price question from a C-2 guy