C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior dye questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:28 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Interior dye questions

I'm getting ready to dye the wifes 79 interior. I talked to a local interior shop who says he does dye work but not on leather because as he says it doesn't adhear well. Can anyone who has done their interior share their expirence with me? I hoping that someone who has done it say a year ago can tell me how it is holding up. Several cans I looked at did not say anything about leather they only covered vinyl and cloth not leather. One I found made in Canada did state leather on the label so I ordered some. I'll share my expirences with the forum.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:48 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye questions (87bob)

Check out Eastwood Company ( www.eastwoodcompany.com ), I just ordered SEM dye from them. SEM appears to be the forum favorite. I have deal with Eastwood before and their staff is very knowable. Sorry I can't be more help, I am not dying leather.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:18 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye questions (Ed T)

Here is everything you need to know. Your seat may be a combination of leather & vinyl & must be prepared accordingly for proper results.
When sanding the leather dunk the 600 grit paper in a pot filled with soapy water. sand with one hand & wipe with a clean rag in the other. Dont get it to wet.
http://leatherique.com/dyeinst.htm
I spent $100+ with leatherique. Could not get a patch to not crack or a color match and was told I could adjust the color and thickness with water and base color from the hardware store. Read as it is a latex paint.

In my Humble Opinion, buy the just like leather covers for about $133 and save yourself the headache.

Hope you have better luck than I did.
Terry

[Modified by trw, 9:24 PM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Interior dye questions (trw)

I'm with Terry--spring for the covers. The SEM "dye" (it's really paint with an additive to make it flexible) works very nicely on parts of your car that don't get a lot of wear, but it doesn't work for a darn on seats, and the leatherique thing seems like kind of a PITA & the leatherlike covers are pretty nice and reasonably cheap if you mount them yourself.

JB
Old 07-18-2003, 10:36 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Interior dye questions (87bob)

Well I went ahead and did it. I pulled the seats out and diss-assembled the drivers side. Removed the cushions from the bucket cleaned up the whole works then died all the parts and I must admit is wasn't bad. I started last night and finished it tonight. I hope to post pictures tomarrow. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Interior dye questions

Quick Reply: Interior dye questions