C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplate Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 03:47 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flexplate Questions...

Just when I thought I had everything figured out about the flexplate, I saw a single reference in an old forum post that a 168 tooth flexplate will not work with a stock starter. So here's my situation... I've got an AR 383 that I need to get a 400 externally balanced SFI flexplate for... Mark told me to get a 168 tooth (though I don't see anything else, so that's probably the only choice)... Will I also need to shell out the bucks for a new starter to replace my fairly recently rebuilt starter? Also, if you were in the flexplate market, which one would you get? I noticed that Summit has their own that is reasonably priced... Or should I buy some other brand? I should be hugging near 600HP on Nitrous...
Old 07-14-2003, 04:51 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Flexplate Questions... (dath)

Anyone? Am hoping to figure out soon so I can get the parts and be ready to get going on this engine swap again!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

168 tooth is stock and will work with a stock starter. At least this is the case with my 74 L-48.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:15 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Flexplate Questions... (Stewart's74)

That's a relief. I was wondering when I caught wind of this not being the case since it was the first I had heard of it (though I'm definitely not an expert). Any opinion about the Summit Racing flexplate? Think it's as good as the major brands, or should I fork out more money for something different?

Regards,
-dath
Old 07-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Dath, I buy all my transmission parts here: http://www.bulkpart.com. I purchased the G100 168 tooth flexplate/flywheel. You cant beat the cost. It was also higher quality than my stock GM one.
The tech support is great too :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Flexplate Questions...

Quick Reply: Flexplate Questions...