C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (Kinda OT)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (Kinda OT)

I was checking the other day to see when the next NHRA race would be when I noticed a little banner on the side of the front page that said "NHRA Street Legal Drags."

It takes you to a whole section of their website devoted to getting people off the streets and on the track. http://www.nhra.com/streetlegal/

The cars depicted are mostly ricers for obvious reasons.

I think it's great what the NHRA is trying to do. They can't force people to not race on the street but at least they are giving folks a place to go to race safely.

[Modified by Cookwithvette, 11:36 AM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-14-2003, 12:00 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (Cookwithvette)

Which is FINE, except, any track has limited hours....second off, not enough tracks....too much time between runs even on a Saturday afternoon....
and the expense....insurance for tracks i'm sure is silly high...25 bux admittance is just too much for a kid making 6 bux/hour flipping burgers...every dime he makes goes into that car, one way or another....insurance being the biggie...for sure....more spent there than getting laid, for christsakes....

I"m NOT downing the NHRA effort there, good thing, but it's ineffective....just not enough....

GENE
Old 07-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (mrvette)

25 bux admittance is just too much for a kid making 6 bux/hour flipping burgers...every dime he makes goes into that car, one way or another....insurance being the biggie
Gimme' a break...If the kid can afford a car decent enough to race he can afford $25 (which is way high compared to our local tracks, more like $10) to get in to the track. Heck I see kids with $15k worth of mods on a $10k all of the time..

Maybe he'll have to skip the LED infused gold plated fart pipe this month but he'll be avoiding that street-racing ticket (or worse)...

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 12:05 PM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-14-2003, 12:40 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (Monkeywrench)

The NHRA was founded back in the 50's just to get all the kids street racing off the streets. I'd much rather see the ricers take it to the track then act like a little Sh*%s on the road weaving in and out of traffic and endangering me and everyone else on the road. :yesnod:
Old 07-14-2003, 01:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (theandies)

The idea is to make the cost of street racing prohibitive - fines, loss of license, loss of vehicle, jail - while providing ample alternatives that are not prohibitively expensive. They even have a high school race series at the track. They are starting "drifting" at Raceway Park, which is about as reckless as you can get if done on the street! :eek: MJ

Get notified of new replies

To NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (Kinda OT)

Quick Reply: NHRA's attempt at reducing street racing. (Kinda OT)