C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm hearing some strange noises.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default I'm hearing some strange noises.

I took a drive over the weekend, trying to nail down a tach problem, and I heard/felt some strange noises. I normally don't drive the car that hard, but I went through the gears hard a few times while watching the tach, and noticed some interesting sounds. It sounds almost like the cooling fan with a fan clutch when the motor is cold. You know, that loud fan sound when the clutch lets the fan spin freely and not draining the engine of any power.

Well, under hard acceleration, this sound will surge. It comes and goes on the upper rpm's. I can also feel the car lunging or hopping. Almost like the tires are spinning or hopping and while spinning or in the air, the engine winds up, then winds back down when the tires grap or get back on the ground. The problem is that the darn engine winds up so quickly that I could not really figure out what was causing this noise.

I was thinking that it was the clutch at first, but there is not any sign of slipping while taking off and no sign of slipping in 4th gear under load. I do have a new fan clutch that I put in about 750 miles ago. I can't figure this one out.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I'm hearing some strange noises. (Andrew)

Try recalibrating your flux capacitor :jester
Old 07-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: I'm hearing some strange noises. (Boofers)

:lol: I didn't think to check that!

I just hope someone might know what is causing this.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm hearing some strange noises.

Quick Reply: I'm hearing some strange noises.