C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help from a Tach Guru!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default I need help from a Tach Guru!

After the recent threads on tachometer problems, I decided to work on the tach this weekend. What I found is that I do not have a tach filter. After seeing some pictures by SIGNGUY and PAUL67, I might have a wiring problem as well. These pictures are on this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=595929

First, from those pictures, there are wires going out of the front of the distributor. These wires led to the tach filter and from what I can tell, go directly to the tachometer board. My wiring is different. The 3 wires going out of the front of the distributor go back into the top of the distributor. Then there are 2 more wires that clip into the Tach port on the distributor and goes to the tach board. I know that the tach board has 3 terminals, but mine only has two wires. Again, there is not a tach filter anywhere. Is this correct?

After seeing this, I decided to take a drive and really watch the tach and see what it is doing. At idle it appears to be accurate, about 750 rpm. When driving casually, it will go up to about 1,100 rpm and stop. When under heavy acceleration, it drops back to 0. Any ideas would be appreciated.

[Modified by Andrew, 8:21 AM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-14-2003, 09:28 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need help from a Tach Guru! (Andrew)

:lurk:
Old 07-14-2003, 09:35 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Before tearing into the tach and spending tons of money, do a search on tach filter here, someone posted the factory schematic and parts value for building one....without it, you get all kinds of weird indications....mostly to do with over indicating, and wild fluctuations.....but who's to say??? try the filter fix first, after that, go for the expensive hard stuff.....

Hate to say it, but I think you may have a bad tach head, coil or board...

GENE
Old 07-14-2003, 11:43 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

From my distributor there are the following wires.
3 in one holder that go into the distributor.
A power wire.
And the tach wire. The tach wire splits right after the clip at the distributor, one wire goes to the tach filter and the other to a male spade terminal. The spade terminal is to hook an external tach for use in setting timing or other diagnostic use.
The wire going to the tach filter then goes through the filter and then off towards the firewall. After that I have no idea where it goes.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: I need help from a Tach Guru! (BSeery)

Thanks for the info. I'll check my wiring first. Then get a tach filter. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To I need help from a Tach Guru!

Quick Reply: I need help from a Tach Guru!