C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car.

Would have had to call a tow truck if I had pulled my tranny a few times. Was cruising with the top down on out what turned out to be a beautiful evening when all of sudden my shifter locked up and I was stuck in second. I had that happen to me after putting the tranny back in and it is caused by the tranny being in to gears at once, well at least that's what caused it before. So I pull over and luckily a friend lives just a few miles away so I 2-way him, gotta love Nextel, and he swings by with a jack and some gloves. Note to self: put get a new jack and put tools and gloves back in car. Well I jck the car up, yank on the rods a little and presto! Shifter is back working, or so I thought. So I pull out and start heading toward my friends place but when I go to shift into 3rd the shifter goes limp and the tranny grinds a bit but goes into third but won't shift again. :confused: So I run it in third to his place to do some diagnosis. The shifter just flops in 3/4 postion but hits like it is stuck in two gears when trying 1/2. I am thining the worst at this point - broken clutch fork or something like that. Then it hits me! The bolt must have come loose on the 3/4 shift rod lever. Sure enough I reach up and can feel it loose allowing the lever to just swing back and forth without engaging with the tranny. I hand tighten it up, give it try and I can now shift into all gears. Friend has a 9/16 wrench so I give a good tighten and was on my way.

Had I not removed my tranny a few times I would have probably called a tow truck the first time it got stuck since it was in 2nd. So it pays to work on your own car as much a possible in case you do break down you might be able to figure it out. The cruise home was much better being able to use all 4 gears.

:cheers:
Old 07-14-2003, 08:23 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car. (Fevre)

Very true. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 07-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car. (Brettmc)

Makes you feel good when something good comes out of a bad situation. Way to go.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:19 AM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

That's one of the reasons my car is in pieces, so I can fix it if it ever breaks. :steering:
Old 07-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car. (rexx78)

I had to fix the same problem with no jack. My son and I had just come back from an hour cruise. At a red light I got on it a little and it stuck between 2nd and third. Coasted into a gas station and got under and the levers were loose. I had a 9/16 wrench and proceeded to burn the &%#$@ out of my arm. I managed to get the levers on and tight. Fired it up and came home no problem. Wish I had a jack top prevent the burns but I got it fixed.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:45 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Isn't it great to be able to solve a problem when it arises? Way to go. I've had similar things happen to my Nova when I was in college.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car. (burners)

And you didn't even need any bailing wire......Knowing your own vehicles is like money in the bank... :thumbs:
Old 07-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Knowledge is power! :thumbs:

Had you towed it to a garage, they'd charged you $300 to perform the same task but describe the work as "Linkage manipulation and lubrication!" :rofl:
Old 07-15-2003, 10:03 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car. (Gordonm)

I had to fix the same problem with no jack. My son and I had just come back from an hour cruise. At a red light I got on it a little and it stuck between 2nd and third. Coasted into a gas station and got under and the levers were loose. I had a 9/16 wrench and proceeded to burn the &%#$@ out of my arm. I managed to get the levers on and tight. Fired it up and came home no problem. Wish I had a jack top prevent the burns but I got it fixed.
Luckily I had about 15 minutes the first time before he showed up with the jack and gloves and about 30 after we took a ride to something to eat. Pipes where cool enought not to burn. I thought I didn't need a jack since I have no spare but I have changed my mind. I usually have a tool 'bag', assorted tools tossed in a bag depending on my last repair, but neglected to put any in the car this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car.

Quick Reply: Road side repairs - much easier if you know your car.