C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood release cable broken!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 05:24 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hood release cable broken!!

I went to open the hood and the handle came away in my hand :eek: I looked up the Covettefaq site and saw that a guy with a 76 vette went through a grommet in front of the wipers with a long screwdriver. I found a couple of grommets but nowhere near the latch. Is it different in my 70?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:03 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hood release cable broken!! (Graemeinvette)

Early sharks are a little different. Take the splash panel off behind the drivers side wheel... The one on the bottom... Reach up through the opening an move the release lever. It's a real stretch and the lever is hard to move so it may take a few tries but you can do it.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 6:04 AM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Hood release cable broken!! (bluevetteman)

Thanks for that, lord knows how long that would have taken me to find on my own. :cheers: Isnt this forum the best! :D :D
Old 07-14-2003, 07:25 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had to replace mine so here's a few tips. When you buy the new cable look through the catalogs and buy just the handle and cable. Some places sell only the whole assembly including the mounting bracket. I think Mid-America sells the handle and cable only for about $20. Just slide the new cable in and guide it through the hole in the hood release. Also, when you install the cable stop make sure you don't install it with the screw facing straight up. If you do the screw will catch on the release bracket and you won't be able to open the hood again. On mine the stop is installed in a horizontal position with the screw facing the fender. This let's the stop slide under the bracket. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:35 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Hood release cable broken!! (vettfixr)

Thanks Al thats a great help, the place I ordered it from here in UK only had it with the bracket so thats what I got. Reasonable price though which makes a change for a UK vette dealer. :cheers:
Old 07-14-2003, 08:56 AM
MGSFJET
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful when making "adjustments" to the latches...my '76 has a "custom" access panel in the driver's side wheel well since the last "mis-adjustment".

Get notified of new replies

To Hood release cable broken!!

Quick Reply: Hood release cable broken!!