C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding brakes,yet another ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 04:03 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bleeding brakes,yet another ??????

Can't seem to get any brake fluid to flow out of the rear bleed screws.Does this mean that the switch plunger in the propotioning valve is stuck,& if so can the switch be removed & freed up.I have used my vacuum pump to suck the fluid through,but still no movement in the calipers.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. Neil.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Bleeding brakes,yet another ?????? (Fleetwood)

I'm no brake expert but this site has a lot of good info, maybe you will find what you need:

http://www.corvettefaq.com/listing.asp?group=2
Old 07-14-2003, 11:53 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Bleeding brakes,yet another ?????? (Fleetwood)

This happened to me while I was gravity bleeding my brakes. I closed the bleeder and pumped the brakes about 10X and reset the "prop" valve to the rear started to flow again. The "prop" valve is doing what it is supposed to do by closing with uneven pressure.

By the way I ended up, after gravity bleeding, going to the 2 man pump and hold method. Worked good and the brakes are now better than new.

EDIT: I also tried the vacuum pump and it didnt work very well for me. I used the clear hose however that came with the pump to perform the other 2 methods of bleeding.

Brent...

[Modified by MN-Brent, 10:55 AM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-14-2003, 08:16 PM
carhound
Instructor

Default Re: Bleeding brakes,yet another ?????? (MN-Brent)

I'm also having trouble getting brakes on my 69.Took the proprotioning valve or splitter (whatever we want to call it) off and took it apart.I blew into both of the fluid (in) holes and both sides let the air come through the(out holes).I blew into the switch hole and no air came out any of the holes.I suppose this means it is working alright.If I am wrong in my thinking, please tell me.I am just trying to eliminate one thing at a time................again............and again. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Old 07-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Default Re: Bleeding brakes,yet another ?????? (MN-Brent)

Brent,I've tried the pump & hold method as well as vacuum pump,still very little fluid comes out the bleed screw,the caliper pistons don't even move the pads,when my friend pumps the brake,& yet the front brakes work fine.It's a pity that the switch plunger can't be held up until the system is bleed.I suppose I will have to keep trying. :confused:

Hey Carhound I feel your frustration

[Modified by Fleetwood, 4:56 AM 7/15/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding brakes,yet another ??????

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes,yet another ??????