C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It actually moved under its own power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:15 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default It actually moved under its own power!

Hey, it's only been a year..but I finally drove the '67 this evening!

Thrashed late at night/early morning ( hey it's hot in TX!) for the last few days. I swear, it's all the little things that kill you! But I did have pretty good luck finding all the nuts/bolts and pieces that have been sitting all over garage in their respective little boxes or places. The best way to clean up a garage is to put your car back together!!

This project started with the installation of that custom Dana 60 IRS setup. Then it progressed to pulling the body (for the second time in it's life!) to get it all set up right, and to fully weld and reinforce the frame in anticipation of a little "spirited" driving.

Then, the 'ole engine was looking lonesome, so what the heck? Let's try to find a few more ponies! So it got disassembled and banished to machine shop jail for a LONG time. No big deal, I was working on rear end. But of course rear end was done andbody was back on months ago. Ended up waiting.

Finally got heads back from porter (beautiful!), new cam, new ported intake (swap meet score!), had block TQ plate honed to make sure all was well after running the last couple of years (it was). Rebuilt engine and dyno'd it. Made 825 HP@7400 rpm.

The car also got new carpet, console etc painted and detailed, a line lock installed, new polished TTII's (15x8's and 15x7's with 275/60's on rear). Complete new Aeromotive fuel system with return lines, sump on tank etc.

There were lots of other detail items I upgraded and improved while it was apart (where have I heard that before?).

But the wife was brave...she immediately jumped in it for the maiden voyage. I mean I didn't even know if it would move out of garage, but it did and made it back home under its' own power!

So everyone keep working at it...sometimes it doesn't seem like it will ever happen...but it will!!

JIM

Old 07-14-2003, 01:36 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: It actually moved under its own power! (427Hotrod)

good to hear it! a beautiful car like that does not deserve to spend the rest of it's life in 'restoration purgatory'. BTW, 825hp. are you freakin' nuts???? :eek: sounds to me like every time you put it in a forward gear your in for some spirited driving! :thumbs:

i know kind of how you feel. a friend of mine asked me if i could revive her '72 240Z that has been sitting for five years. i just got it running on all six cylinders today :) still running it off a 2 gallon fuel tank under the hood until i get the rest of the 'tar' out of the gas tank but we're on the way.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:37 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: It actually moved under its own power! (427Hotrod)

Jim:
Big congrats on a job well done! I still have the e-mail you sent me of the Dana 60 rear end setup...what a work of art. I bet that motor just melts those 275/60/15 tires when you hit the "go-pedal." I would hate to pull up next to you at a redlight :) . I sure do feel sorry for whomever does. So how soon will we see some timeslips for this monster? :cheers:
Old 07-14-2003, 02:36 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: It actually moved under its own power! (bence13_33)

Thats a lot of HP for a 36 year old vette.....Nice. :thumbs:
Old 07-14-2003, 04:29 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: It actually moved under its own power! (clutchdust)

Way to go Jim. Got any pics? :thumbs:
Old 07-14-2003, 10:06 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: It actually moved under its own power! (1970 Stingray)

Thanks guys....I gotta get some pics now that it's closer to being finished for awhile.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To It actually moved under its own power!

Quick Reply: It actually moved under its own power!