C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 10:35 PM
1979L82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default battery drain

I have seen tech question like this come up in Corvette publications, unfortunately I cannot find the exact magazine in my collection.

The problem I have is a constant drain on the battery espicially after running then parking the car. I believe the recommended method is to attach a voltmeter to the battery and start removing fuses until there is no noticable loss of voltage then troubleshoot that circuit.

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations on this matter. [/img] Report this to a moderator DoInsert(' :confused: ');
Old 07-13-2003, 10:39 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: battery drain (1979L82)

First of all, Welcome to the Forum!!!! You are definitely on the right track with finding your battery drain problem too! GOOD LUCK! :yesnod:
Old 07-13-2003, 10:47 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: battery drain (1979L82)

May not the fastest but it is probably the easiest way. Basically you are looking for a voltage drain from ground on the battery to frame ground or metal where you are carrying ground current. Trouble is when you locate a circuit that is at fault, the problem could be anywhere in the wiring gharness for that circuit. When you measure across the battery you will only see battery voltage.

Before you go to too much trouble, measure the alternator O/P at idle. If should be putting out 13.8 to 14.2 or right around there. Then measure the battery voltage at idle. You may have poor cables from the alternator to the battery or maybe even a battery that does not take charge very well. Check these out first.

After you go throught the charging circuit and the fuses and if you come up blank, you might consider a ground side interuption switch. When you park the car overnight or for several days, just open the ground switch and it breaks the ground flow. They are in the Summit catalog, JC Whitney and some of the Vette catalogs.

Good luck on this problem.

[Modified by bigvette1, 9:47 PM 7/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To battery drain

Quick Reply: battery drain