C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........

What hoses are you running. I can't seem to find any upper or lower hoses to fit?? :confused:
Old 07-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (Corey 68)

have a muffler shop bend up some pipe :cheers:
Old 07-13-2003, 06:46 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (Corey 68)

I am using the Summit(Northern) universal aluminum radiator in my '79. I am using the stock upper hose because the outlet is in the same place. It isn't installed yet, but when I put it in to mock it up, it fit just fine. I had the bottom outlet cut off and rewelded at the correct angle. I realize that yours is different on the bottom, but I think they are the same at the top. I used a FAQ page on this forum as a reference. Look for the thread on the FAQ page about installing dual fans. He has part numbers for hoses that he used and I believe he has a '71.{Autozone (Autozone part numbers 238 and XL060)}

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 5:46 PM 7/13/2003]
Old 07-13-2003, 08:15 PM
hauk
Instructor

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (79VetteMike)

For the top hose I found a hose with a 90 degree bend in it,It was not long enough so I put in a nipple and extended it, For the bottom I cut the stock hose in half and put a nipple in it and added a straight piece to fit
Old 07-14-2003, 01:02 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........

Alright, here's a new curve for you. Out of those using the aluminum radiators, how many of you are using the block driven fan vs. electric fan(s)?

What do you recommend? I need a new radiator and shroud (amongst other things) for my car and I keep wondering if I should make the switch to an electric fan. If I do switch to an electric fan, what style should I use? A single 13 inch, single 16 inch or dual 11 inch fans?

If I go the route of the electric fans, will I need a fan shroud? If I don't need a fan shroud, do I gain room in my engine bay?

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:45 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (1969Vette350)

as i remember, the top hose fit just fine on mine. for the bottom though, i had to splice two pieces together to get the right fit with minimal pinching. still don't like the way it worked out but haven't had any real issues either.
i also had some fit issues. seems it's not quite as much of a bolt-in on my car as others have reported with theirs.
i highly recommend the electric fans over stock mechanical fans. you will notice a difference almost immediately in your engines ability to gain RPM. you might also find it necessary to upgrade to a 100 amp alt if you don't already have one. i am using the flex-a-lite dual 'sucker' fans and they have worked just fine for the most part. i and some other members have had some minor problems with the wiring getting too hot and melting the supplied fuse holder. i think that problem was largely due to the increased distance required to wire them in a corvette. they are designed to be wired on a conventional car with the battery mounted right beside the radiator. the way i installed mine, i have about 7' of wire from the fans to the starter '+' terminal and i believe that was the problem.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:24 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm using a 31X19 Griffin and used a flexable lower hose I got from a local auto parts store.I just matched the length and diameters.
I think the electric fan is the way to go.I find pulling the motor is much easier without the shroud.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (clutchdust)

Clutch, you do NOT go to the starter cable...NEVER....there is a ~12 ga wire fusible link in the line to the alternator....

your fans belong wired directly across the alternator, both grounded to the alternator case/frame, and the hot contact of your controll relay goes directly to the alternator stud.....any other way, and you got problems....

GENE
Old 07-14-2003, 03:39 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (mrvette)

GENE, you want to elaborate on that? as i remember, the instructions said to connect the heavy red wire to the battery terminal. like i said, i figure they assume a conventional set up with the battery mounted right next to the radiator. the '+' cable on the starter is as close to that battery terminal as you can get in the engine compartment. it's fused and relay controlled so i don't see what the problem is.
i thought about the alternator but i just didn't want that kind of load running directly off the alternator stud. i have thought about running an insulated terminal up on the framerail to give me good access to a '+' terminal for all my underhood b.s. i think ultimately that would be the best way to go.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:29 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

I have a 76 SB. with the universal griffin. Bottom hose is stock Goodyear 60822.
Top hose I had to go to Kragen and look at hoses that I thought might fit. I got one that fits absolutely perfectly- no cutting at all with just the right bend. Unfortunately, I don't know what it fits usually, but it is a Kragen stock number (E)70862cs. The stock fan WILL NOT fit with this hose because of the way it bends.

I have the fexilite dual fans. I think it could run cooler. It creeps up to about 215 on hot days with AC, even on the highway. If I had it to do over I would spring for the dual Spals. (Probably will when I get to the motor work.) Let me know if you need any advice on the universal installation. It is not a complete slam dunk- some "adjustments" are necessary but if you have a day to spend it can be done.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:35 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (clutchdust)

Clutch- on wiring I ran a large wire from the alternator output to a terminal block that I mounted on the firewall and then a similar wire spliced back into the alt. output wire. I then tapped power from the terminal block and used an inline fuse for the fans that came with the set-up. I used conduit to cover all wires and it came out very clean looking. The terminal block is available from MAD Electric (guys name is Mark and he has a website) for about $5. Mark also walked me through the process. A very knowledgable elec. guy

Let me know and Ill send you picture. Good luck. :cheers:
Old 07-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (R. Bruno)

Thanks for the info guys :cheers:
Old 07-14-2003, 07:46 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I use the Steelflex hoses.. They can be bent any way you want to have them...
Old 07-14-2003, 08:57 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Call Dewitts, I got new hoses from him when I ordered my radiator.

phone: 810-220-0182
Email: info@dewitts.com
www.dewitts.com
Old 07-14-2003, 10:33 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

CLUTCH, I can see Genes reasoning. Its best to run your fans off of the alternator stud because it is then not relying on the alternator wire to carry the load.

As for the alternator stud, it won't know the difference between the two. If your fans are drawing 20 amps the alt stud will have 20 amps going through it whether you are connected at the alt stud or the battery cable.

No doubt, I am sure many have it hooked up your way. Genes way is a little safer.(Mo safe)

[Modified by LAvetteman, 9:36 PM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, there is no upper hose that will work with a universal radiator, a BB, and an alternator in the stock BB location. The small blocks are easy, as they have much more room between the alt and rad. There just isn't enough room for a hose bend, hence the hard 90 degree bend in the stock radiator outlet. If you find something that works, let us know about it! :yesnod:
Old 07-15-2003, 12:49 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Am I not seeing a reason one of the universal fit hoses wont work???? Seen them used on MANY engine swap projects, and IMO they look pretty nice too. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........

Old 07-15-2003, 03:47 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........

Thanks guys, I was thinking of installing an aluminum radiator and getting a nice bottle of water wetter to use.
Hmm, I think now I'll have to figure in some electric fans in the cost of my rebuild :rolleyes: :lol: This just gets more and more fun ($$) with each passing day. :D
Old 07-15-2003, 04:40 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (1969Vette350)

I'm running that radiator and I used a stock 75 or 76 hose for the upper hose. Look at both of them, one will fit better. It is a perfect fit.
The lower hose I got at auto zone and only know the part number, not what it is for. Autozone part numbers 238 and XL060. One of these is supposed to be an upper hose but it didn't work very well, so I went with a stock vette hose as described. The other is the lower hose and after trimming a bit off of both ends, it also is a perfect fit.

See the link to a write up at the bottom of my website.
Chris
Old 07-15-2003, 07:36 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........ (71roadster)

:withstupid:

That's what I use with no problems for the last 2 years. Upper radiator hose 238, lower radiator hose is XL060 from AutoZone. These hoses are for the Universal Aluminum Griffin Nascar Radiator.

Quick Reply: Those useing Griffin Universal Aluminum Radiators........