C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i'm about ready to bring her to a mechanic rant!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 05:06 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm about ready to bring her to a mechanic rant!

for the last couple of months my vette has left me stranded on more than 1 occasions.here's whats been happening.it starts fine , i drive for a while and once the engine gets warm,it starts to stutter/hesitate.when in gear,it wont pull and there is no idle,it just wants to shut off.i can keep the engine running by revving the engine,but it wont pull the car.so i have to wait a couple of minutes and then it will run for a short period of time and then it starts again.it only happens when the engine is up to temperature.
today it started hesitating after driving over a bump(is there a bad contact somewhere?)
here is what i have done sofar:
bought rebuild kit for carb and installed it,
adjusted floats,idle
replaced sparkplugs,wires,distributorcap,rotor,co ndenser,points
i've read somewhere about an ignition module.where is that located?
i appreciate your help,this is driving me nuts :cuss

[Modified by java0881, 4:13 PM 7/13/2003]
Old 07-13-2003, 05:28 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: i'm about ready to bring her to a mechanic rant! (java0881)

Have you checked fuel flow from the pump? I had a car that would do something similar. It would start running on fewer cylinders until I had no power and had to pull over. That car would idle though while the symptoms were occurring. If I let it idle long enough, I could start driving again.

What was happening was that the fuel bowls were being drained because of a restriciton in the fuel line near the tank. I pulled the pump-to-carbs line off and it would shoot fuel across the fender, but I didn't have a way to flow-check it. I had to take it to an old-British-car guru and he figured it out.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:34 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Dang, Sounds like complete carb to me. You see Ignition I assume would be pretty much static, Meaning, if there was an issue with the ignition, you would know from the moment you start it up. How long has this been happening? Were there any recent mods done to the Carb? Where did you get it? I don't know what would directly make that happen, perhaps a bad needle/seat. heck maybe even a pinsize hole in a float. maybe the accelerator pumps are too big or perhaps a torn diaphram. I am sure someone on here will be able to point out step by step what to look for. I just wanted to keep this question at the top of the list so someone will take care of you.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:32 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Do you have the heat riser on the passenger exhaust manifold?
How hot does the intake & carb get?
Maybe the riser is stuck.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:13 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Default Re: i'm about ready to bring her to a mechanic rant! (jerryp58)

no heatriser,i got hookersidepipes.i will try to get the temps with my temperature-gun.what would be a "normal" temp for intake/exhaust?
i noticed that there was a some fuel(but not a strong stream) from the nozzles going in to the carb when pressing the gas and there was no fuel in the float chamber when looking trough the sightglasses.
maybe fuelpump/fuelline?

btw:this is my 1000 post :party:
Old 07-13-2003, 08:18 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a flashlight and take a look in your tank. It could be that crud has gummed up the sock that fits on the fuel inlet. When the car sits the gunk falls away and you will run fine until the gunk starts to clog the sock again. If you see a lot of rust flakes or junk from gas stations that don't clean their tanks that's probably your problem. It happened to me.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:34 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

...it starts to stutter/hesitate.when in gear,it wont pull and there is no idle,it just wants to shut off.i can keep the engine running by revving the engine,but it wont pull the car...
here is what i have done so far:
bought rebuild kit for carb and installed it,
adjusted floats,idle
replaced sparkplugs,wires,distributorcap,rotor,condenser,points

i've read somewhere about an ignition module .where is that located?
i appreciate your help,this is driving me nuts :cuss
Did you replace the condenser and points before or after this started happening? Many years ago I had similar symptoms on a '74 Pontiac Formula 400. The only difference is that mine would not clear up after the engine cooled off. After the usual troubleshooting and speculating, I replaced the timing chain because it seemed likely based on symptoms that the chain had jumped a tooth or more (no power). Turned out that the timing chain did not need to be replaced, it was Okay. The real problem was a brand new set of defective points and condenser that I had installed a couple of weeks earlier.
Nothing worse than a brand new defective part. Your just SOOOO sure that it is NOT the problem! After all..... It's brand new.....right!?!?!!! :crazy:

...Ignition modules are used in HEI distributors.

Good luck with your troubleshooting....

Get notified of new replies

To i'm about ready to bring her to a mechanic rant!

Quick Reply: i'm about ready to bring her to a mechanic rant!