C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Bluevetteman--how to rebuild a balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:45 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Paging Bluevetteman--how to rebuild a balancer?

Larry, I know you rebuilt the balancer on your BB when the outer ring slipped. I was wondering if you could post details on how you did it?

Thanks,
JB
Old 07-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Paging Bluevetteman--how to rebuild a balancer? (JB)

Ok Ok ... I'm here. I just finished putting my dash and all back together.
Here's what I did. I had a piece of the old rubber and there was a dimension on the edge. .125 X 1.06 ( I think it was 1.06 but anyway it is whatever width the ring is.) I found a piece of 60 durometer sheet rubber that was .125 thick.. I cut a strip about three inches wide that was long enought to fit just perfect inside the outer ring with no end gap. Now take a few metal blocks that are about an inch high, all same tickness and support the ring on the press plate. (you do need a hydraulic press) When you have everything set up you need to mix up some urethane adhesive like JB weld.. I used Lord fusor urethane adhesive. Coat the rubber on both sides liberally with the adhesive and working quickly put the rubber in the ring and press the center hub into it, The adhesive is slippery when you first mix it and the whole thing will press together but some of the rubber will come out the other side. That's why you need the strip three inches wide to start and support the outer ring with space under it ring.
When it is all together and flush there will be rubber sticking out of both sides. Leave it in the press under pressure overnight. Then trim the excess rubber off with an exacto knife. I put the finished part in a lathe and checked it for trueness and runnout. Mine had about .002 runnout and .003 laterally. I think that is pretty good.. I don't know what the facory specs are so i just used my own judgement. It sounds harder than it really is. You just need to make sure that everthing is set up square.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:36 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Paging Bluevetteman--how to rebuild a balancer? (bluevetteman)

Thanks! :cheers:

JB

Get notified of new replies

To Paging Bluevetteman--how to rebuild a balancer?

Quick Reply: Paging Bluevetteman--how to rebuild a balancer?