C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 07:20 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary?

I'm at the point in my BB assembly where I've read & heard that this is where you "degree" the cam. Is this part absolutely necessary? I don't like the prospect of purchasing a Camshaft Degree Kit, which I've seen advertised for $130, when I'll probably use it once. :cry

thanks
Len :chevy
Old 07-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (1970 Stingray)

Not absolutly nessisary. Most cams have some advance already ground in to offset any machining differences. In most situations its not needed. But a serious racer would always want to know exactly where everything is to get the max power for his particular intended use. If you really wanted to do it, you could always buy a degree kit for $130 , use it once, then sell it for $100. I think $30 would be worth knowing for sure.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:05 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While is is not necessary I always do it. I don't change anything from the cam card but I do verify that everything is right on. In the dozens over the years that I have done I have never found one off.
There has got to be cheaper degree wheels then $130. As for a dial indicator any good tool box needs ones, even for doing breaks. Start gathering your tools now.
I have found that I aligned the wrong marks and the cam did not match the card so luckily I found it before buttoning the motor up. If I had not degreed the cam I would have tried to start a motor that could have bent valves.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:21 AM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like jvette said, you could always buy the kit then sell it after the fact. SummitRacing has one for $85.

http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchtype=ecat

If you don't want the whole kit you can buy the wheel at:

http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchtype=ecat

I did not degree my cam when installing, wish I would have just to verify. I have purchased the wheel and had planned on checking mine, however I've put the car up for sale instead.

Good Luck -David

[Modified by DavidOrr, 8:22 AM 7/13/2003]
Old 07-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Tomi72
Racer

I did the cam degreeing this weekend on my new engine. Seems that set straight up my cam was 2 degrees retarded from the specs. Don't know how common that is and how much effect it would have had, but I turned the multi key way crank sprocket to correct this and now it is dead on.

I allready had the dial indicator and magnetic base and I managed to borrow the degree wheel from the shop where I get all my parts so there was no cost involved. If you are considering bying a kit the dial indicator and base have other uses too like measuring crank endplay or how deep pistons are in the bore, checking brake disk runout etc.

rgds Tomi
Old 07-13-2003, 08:35 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (Tomi72)

Do it just for your own peace-of-mind. Cam cards can be wrong and you'll feel a whole lot better if you catch a wrong cam card now with the engine on a stand. You can also find others that are using the same cam and see if they did any "tricks" to liven up the engine a little more. Degreeing a cam is essential part of any buildup IMO.
:cheers:
Old 07-13-2003, 08:39 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (theandies)

The cam timing being off a few degrees is going to move the power band up or down. I don't know that a one or two degree variance is going to be noticeable when you drive the car.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:51 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (theandies)

theandies, How is degreeing a cam going to show the cam card is wrong? I degree a cam to make sure I installed it right according to the card. As for tricks I feel the cam manufacturer wants his cam to show it's best so he has already ground the specs he wants already into the cam.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (norvalwilhelm)

Len, my dad quit degreeing cams years ago and that is who I learned from. If I want to advance or retard the cam, I just turn the distributor, simple as that.

:cheers:
Old 07-13-2003, 02:07 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (Corey 68)

I agree with Corey. I did not degree my camshaft and everything is A-OK.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Len, it all depends on how far you want to take tuning and how much you want to know about your engine. Do you want to know exactly when your intake valve opens, exactly how much overlap you have, or exactly how close your valves are to the piston at certain engine positions? If not, 99% of the time you'll be ok just lining up the dots. If you want to just bolt it together and run it, that's all you really need to do.

Some guys want to control and fine tune every valve event to maximize performance, and that's hard to do if you don't know and understand exactly what's happening inside to create the performance you're current experiencing.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (Flareside)

Norval, Bence, Corey, Flareside and all, thanks for the response. No I really am not that interested in the valves opening & closing etc. I keep trying to tell myself that this all started as a budget rebuild. :rofl: And I don't think I really need to know if my cam is off a couple degrees that can't be countered with the distributor.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Sounds good Len. If you change your mind, you can borrow my wheel and dial indicator. :D

FYI, you cannot modify or correct bad cam timing in any way via the distributor. Cam position controls the opening and closing of the valve in relation to the crank, not ignition timing.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:32 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

theandies, How is degreeing a cam going to show the cam card is wrong? I degree a cam to make sure I installed it right according to the card. As for tricks I feel the cam manufacturer wants his cam to show it's best so he has already ground the specs he wants already into the cam.
Simple! Wrong cam card for the cam that came in the box. I have seen it before. I'm just saying it's better to degree it so you know everything is correct. Cam/Card/Clearances....the whole 9 yards. :seeya
Old 07-13-2003, 04:09 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that way you know it is right. Money and time well spent.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:42 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (69stingray)

Whats the best way to measure the piston/valve motion.I mean,so the valve dont hit the piston..I`ve heard that you put some "clay" on the pistontop and turn the crank and then measure the inprint on the piston :confused: :cheers:
Old 07-13-2003, 08:01 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

While is is not necessary I always do it. I don't change anything from the cam card but I do verify that everything is right on. In the dozens over the years that I have done I have never found one off.
:iagree: My stepfather owns a race engine shop and I talked to him about cam degreeing. He basically told me the same thing Norval just said. He has degree'd hundreds or maybe thousands of camshafts and there were never any out of spec. He said it's nice to know it's right though...he has to put his name on the bill. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary?

Old 07-13-2003, 08:42 PM
mxzx turbine
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (Corey 68)

Corey, FYI, when checking cams it is in relation to crank shaft, you can't change cam timing by changing distributor timing. Retarding and advancing cam timing in relation to piston position can and does make a big difference.

:party:
Old 07-13-2003, 09:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (mxzx turbine)

I'm glad some of you jumped on Corey's mistake about retarting or advance the timing in the distributor for cam timing. :)
Old 07-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary? (BB wowbagger)

BB wowbagger, if you want to know how much piston to valve clearance you have with your current cam, the modelling clay will work great. No problem at all.

Cam degreeing takes it a bit farther. How about if you measure .200 with your clay, then want to advance your cam 4 degrees to shift the power peak? Can you do it without worrying about a valve collision? It's all about how deep you want to go and how much you want to mess with things. Personally, I want to understand as much as possible about my engine, and then adjust things accordingly. After all, this is a hobby, not work... :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Degree-ing cam? Absolutely necessary?