C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 04:36 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68?

I posted a question about flaming river after market steering columns in another thread. I was warned that flaming river nor ididit columns are colapsible!!

I wouldn't feel safe driving with a solid column. I plan on driving the car to work 4 days a week, and at least one weekend day every week in the spring, summer, and fall. In the winter I'll skip the 1 or 2 rainy weeks ;)

I have installed C4 seats that are very comfortable, but leave very little leg room between the seat and steering wheel. the steering wheel sits too low anyway, but not it is much worse!

The obvious solution is to use a later C3 tilt column, but what would I do about the ignition on the column?? It would look really "BUBBA" to have both dash AND column ignitions. And i definately do not want to eliminate the dash ignition... If I am gonna' put with all the '68 quirks, then I insist on keeping the cool stuff!!

There are only 2 options I can imagine:

1. use a latter C3 column and cut off the ignition and try to patch the hole. Is it even possible to patch that king of material?

2. Find some other colapsible tilt column that will fit. How will I know?

Any advice will be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 07-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68? (Jay M)

I don't have very good news for you.

The 1967 and 1968 Vettes had the first generation energy absorbing (EA) steering columns. They were only available as standard (non-adjustable) and telescoping. All other GM passenger cars in 1967 and 1968 also had first generation EA columns. BUT all the other GM columns had larger diameter column tubes (the outer jacket) so any tilt columns from that 67-68 era still won't fit in a Vette. All of the first generation columns were actually quite "floppy" in that the column tubes had cutouts to make them collapse. All these columns required very large support brackets where they attached under the dash to the instrument panel to make them feel rigid in the car.

In 1969, all GM passenger cars went to the 2nd Generation EA columns with locking capabilities. ALL of these columns now used new type column tubes (the outer jacket) that was much more rigid than the first gen columns. Because the 2nd generation columns were more rigid they could then use much smaller and lighter support brackets to attach them under the dash.

So you will find that even though 1968 and 1969 Sharks look similar, when you go under the dash and compare the column mountings they will be quite different. The 68 column had three mounting points under dash. The two closest to the driver were spaced closely together. The 69 and later columns had only two attaching points under dash and they were spaced further apart.

Also I am quite sure that because the 68 column had the smaller column tube (jacket), where it passed through the instrument cluster was probably quite a bit smaller than the pass through for a 69 column.

This was one area that had considerable change from 68 to 69. Sorry!
Old 07-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68? (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim,

looks like I'm SOL on this one :(

I guess the next question is whether or not going with an aftermarket column is worth the risk. I have added camaro seat belts with a shoulder harness.

I wonder if that will be enough protection.

How much energy does the stock '68 column REALLY absorb? Is it enough to make any significant difference?

I really think the tilt wheel will give MUCH better control of the car, allowing me to avoid accidents.

Maybe I'll just keep begging ididit and flaming river to build an EA column.
I'm sure that if the street rod community were aware of the risk, these companies would be forced to develop an EA column.

~Jay
Old 07-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Indy Year 25
Racer

Jay, I have stock seats, and stock steering wheel in my 68. I find it hard to get out (in isn't too bad) because the wheel is so big.

I believe I read on a post that some one installed Steerioids, and thought their steering wheel was to big after the installation, and went to a smaller wheel.

I am in the group purchase for Steeroids, and am thinking I may go to a smaller wheel after adding power rack and pinion (I don't have power steering now).

Just food for thought.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68? (Indy Year 25)

hmmm,

I think i was the one who thought the wheel was too big ;)

The smaller steering wheel is farther away, closer to my knees. Therefore it restricts movement. the stock wheel may be a temporary solution now that you mention it!

With the steeroids + the huge '68 steering wheel there is very little effort required to steer. The smaller Momo wheel I have now has the perfect feel.

Maybe I should put a hub adaptor to bring the Momo wheel closer!

I'll see if that helps.

It's funny how you didn't tell me what to do, my you may have given me a great solution!

~Jay
Old 07-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Indy Year 25
Racer

Like I said, "Just food for thought."

What diameter is the wheel you have on now? Do you have a picture of it?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68? (Indy Year 25)

I think it is a 13.8" Momo racing line steering wheel

It feels much better in my hands.

~Jay

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68?

Quick Reply: What's the best way to add Tilt wheel to a '68?