C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My front wheels look like someone tried to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' style jump...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:10 AM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My front wheels look like someone tried to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' style jump...

...they're both bowed out on the bottom (tops leaning toward each other). Does this mean the bushings need to be replaced, or am I looking at a more serious problem here? The rears do the same, but not near as bad. I've noticed that the front end does this weird, leaning, really quick dig in and turn thing if I trun sharply. Mebbe this is just 'the Vette way' - I wouldn't know. This is my first Vette. I know my car is set up for fast steering, and I don't like it at all - much too nervous on the road for me. I'm going to have the guy that does my alignment switch it back to the outer holes on the spindles (after I install new bushings, I guess). If you guys need pics, I'll be glad to post. I've heard good and bad things about poly bushings - what's the general consensus? Good, bad, indifferent - pros and cons? Thanks!

Old 07-13-2003, 01:33 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: My front wheels look like someone tried to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' style jump... (WPEDirect)

At the least bushings, and possibly ball joints.

Just make it easy on yourself. Get the entire front end rebuild kit (upper / lower a-arm bushings, upper / lower ball-joints / all new tie-rod ends, new HD idler arm and sway bar bushings) I got mine through the Corvette Mall (Zips) so you can get the 5% off. It's a heavy duty do-it-yourself. It can be done, but you have to have good tools and a weekend and a friend would be helpful. If you get the poly bushings then you don't need a press to replace them so you can save on the trip to the shop. However, if it still has the original ball-joints you may need a press to pop those out.

Have fun !!!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:58 AM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My front wheels look like someone tried to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' style jump... (BSeery)

Your camber is out. You should be able to adjust this.

I just order all the suspension parts for a rebuild, front and rear (except trailing arms). I hope to do it in a couple weeks (have a 5 day weekend while I switch jobs). Hopefully it helps my twitchiness.

OH and if you want to see bad bushings, come on over, my leaking master cylinder has eaten all of them on the drivers side.

[Modified by goofygrin, 2:59 PM 7/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To My front wheels look like someone tried to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' style jump...

Quick Reply: My front wheels look like someone tried to pull a 'Dukes of Hazzard' style jump...