C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to cure too much total timing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Steve81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to cure too much total timing?

I noticed my motor was knocking during hard acceleration so i checked the timing, with the vacuum adv diconnected at 10 degrees initial timing, i was getting 30 degrees total. When i connected the vac adv it jumped to 46 total. What can cause this? I tried leaving the vac disconnected but i'm running much hotter now. Should i just hook up a adjustable diaphragm?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:13 AM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Best way to cure too much total timing? (Steve81)

46 degrees total should be no problem. It should be able to run on premium pump gas with that kind of advance. Look at your mechanical advance and see if it's working right. If so, you can get heavier sets of advance weight springs and experiment with them. That will slow down your advance curve.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:59 AM
Steve81
Instructor

Default Re: Best way to cure too much total timing? (LB66383)

If the timing is ok, why the knocking? I run 94 high test only.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:18 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

If the timing is ok, why the knocking? I run 94 high test only.
it's too new of a motor to have heavy carbon build up - or maybe not.

Another thing would be to verify the timing on the balancer. Sometimes the balancer's outer ring will shift. You won't get an accurate timing measure then.

how hot is it at idle ? What plugs are you using ?
Old 07-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excessive temps in the combustion chamber can cause knocking even when the timing is right. It can get hot enough in there to make casting bumps in the chamber glow red hot which can ignite the charge early causing the knocking. It can can really be a problem on higher compression engines. Knocking down the casting bumps by polishing the combustion chambers can help avoid this from happening. if yur mixture is too lean it can cause too much chamber heat too. A spark plug with a colder range might also help. Retarded ignition timing can lead to excessive chamber heat too. Most people think its only advanced timing that can cause knocking. but if the timing is too far retarded to cause excessive heat, then it can lead to knocking. Its a good thing you run high octane and i would stay with it. Your timing as you list it could be advanced some.

I think you should try some things to reduce combustion chamber temps. This is what I wouild recomend doing to do that.

1. Pull your plugs and check for carbon deposits. If theyre not black and sooty then yur not too rich. Replace the with plugs that are one step colder in heat range. IE: If yur running r44 the switch to r43.

2. If yur plugs were not sooty then you could probably increase the jets 2 sizes without any ill effects. The richer mixture will help cool things down and might give you some more power to boot.

3. Advance the timing till you get 14 initial and 34 total with vac dis-connected. Then connect vac to ported source on the carb. Ported source has no vacuum at idle. The advanced timing will also help cool things down.

After making these changes you will surely need to re-adjust the curb idle speed and idle mixture screws.

Im running at least 10.5to1 compression with an CR43ts plugs and 12 initial and 36 total with and aditional 12 of ported advance. My combustion chambers are polished and I run high test pump gas. I jetted my carb up 1 size in the primarys and 3 sizes in the secondaries. I have never heard a single ignition knock from my engine. Even when its running hotter.

[Modified by Jvette73, 7:52 AM 7/13/2003]
Old 07-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Steve81
Instructor

Default Re: Best way to cure too much total timing? (Jvette73)

Most people think its only advanced timing that can cause knocking.
This was my impression.

1. Pull your plugs and check for carbon deposits. If theyre not black and sooty then yur not too rich. Replace the with plugs that are one step colder in heat range. IE: If yur running r44 the switch to r43.
Pulled the plugs and the look fine.

3. Advance the timing till you get 14 initial and 34 total with vac dis-connected. Then connect vac to ported source on the carb. Ported source has no vacuum at idle. The advanced timing will also help cool things down.
Will give this a try first. Thanks for the info - Steve.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to cure too much total timing?

Quick Reply: Best way to cure too much total timing?