C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper maddness

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 04:54 PM
69 LT1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default wiper maddness

I've been trying to get the wipers going on my 69 with no luck, I cant get them to take full sweeps, I believe the trouble is with the area in the pic,
Am I missing something, Ive had the wipers out since 82, So its been a pain trying to get everything set up again,
The section below seems real flimsy and the arm that hooks to the motor turns easily around when holding the two transmission arms,
I can't find any info anywere on these parts either,
Any suggestions :confused:
Thanks,

Old 07-12-2003, 05:05 PM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wiper maddness (69 LT1)

Do you have an 69 shop manual, I have one for my 81 and they are invaluable. Maybe one of the guys with one can check it out for you..I will take a look and see what I can find in mine and chime back in. Come on guys..lets help our bretherin out here...
Old 07-12-2003, 10:51 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a'72. I was looking at the linkage in the assembly manual and it appears you need to loosen the nuts on the bottom piece in the picture and rotate the motor pin to 90% from the two links. I can't find my service manual, but if I do I will see if it has an adjustment procedure. You might try loosing that link and with out attaching the motor, manual move them to full sweep, then position the motor pin so it can be attached, and tighten up the pin link.

Good luck :seeya
Old 07-13-2003, 12:19 AM
69 LT1
Instructor

Default Re: wiper maddness (72GACRZR)

I have the 4 nuts as tight as i can get them and the motor pin will still turn with just little pressure,
I have an assembly manual and set them up according to the diagram and also in the park position, But no matter which way i cant get the wipers to move more then a 1/4 in,
So im thinking theres a problem in the area of the picture,

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:45 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 742 Likes on 519 Posts

Is your wiper door working correctly? If it is working maybe your wiper door open switch is misadjusted and when the wiper begin their travel it opens the switch causing the motor to stop. I just reaching but I have seen stranger stuff cause simple problems. Looking at your picture it looks as if your linkage is correct. As far as it seeming loose...mine are the same way (they work good). When I get a new wiper motor it will work fine. :lol:
Old 07-13-2003, 09:04 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Welll, first off, look at the output stud of the motor, it should spin like planet earth while it's also following the orbit around the larger hole area there....
let the thing stop spinning, this means the door should be removed along with the grill panel....with the door off, the mechanism will still work ok....but you will have to manually activate that pass side blade against the vacuum switch in order to kill everything from starting another cycle....

go ahead and put everything in the center on those 4 slotted bolts with the copper plates in the center that ride on the ball studs....conect everything up, and you will find with the blades down, and the motor stopped, ignition off, the mounting lever only goes ONE obvious way loosen up the 4 bolts for precise positioning,....note here....I on MY car had to effectively shorten my wiper activating arms...all I did was bend them slightly because the adjustment ran out of room.....Keep in mind all these mechanisms have lotsa years and wear on them....I"m not so surewhat tolerances they were built to, but it was pretty sloppy due to being out in the rain all the time....

GENE
Old 07-18-2003, 06:46 PM
69 LT1
Instructor

Default Re: wiper maddness (mrvette)

Update,
I had a bad wiper motor, This was the reason the wipers would not go into full rotation,
But I think i have a bad wiper switch, According to the manual this is a ground switch,
If i pull the plug of the switch and use a jumper to ground to the plug to test would this work,

[Modified by 69 LT1, 5:47 PM 7/18/2003]

[Modified by 69 LT1, 5:47 PM 7/18/2003]
Old 07-18-2003, 09:45 PM
69 LT1
Instructor

Update,
Pulled the wiper switch and checked for continuity, There was none, Pulled it apart and cleaned all the contacts and all is good,

As far as the ground part the switch must be grounded.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:26 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

:cool: Thanks for the follow up

Get notified of new replies

To wiper maddness

Quick Reply: wiper maddness