C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Timing question

Is it possible for the distributor to be one tooth off but to turn it so it runs well?

I have my car running very good right now, but I am trying to set the timing. When I put the timing lite on it, it show 50 degrees on the harmonic balancer when my timing light is set to 0 advance. Would that be a symptom of the distributor being one off? When I turn the distributor very far off of that, it will start running very crappy and wont run or cough, hack, and backfire.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2003, 04:03 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Timing question (Maurice)

Sure, but if it's running right, the rotor ought to point at the #1 cylinder tower on the distributor cap whenever that 0 degree mark comes around. If it's not, sounds like you've got a harmonic balancer with a slipped outer ring.

JB
Old 07-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Bullyj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Timing question (JB)

How old is your Harmonic balancer? On mine it slipped and gave similar readings liked to drove me nuts trying to figure it out.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Timing question (Bullyj)

All of it is brand new. New harmonic balancer, less than 50 miles on rebuilt engine. The machine shop put everything together. I did just notice that the spark plug wires are all off 1 spot to the left from my 502 which is running fine. I am switching out the starter right now, so when that is done, I am going to move the spark plug wires and see if it is any better.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:55 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Timing question (Maurice)

Lars mentions that scenario as a possiblity in his recurve instructions. It is possible to drop the distributor in pointing somewhere other than #1 and just move the wires around to get it to run.

[Modified by isosceles, 11:57 PM 7/12/2003]
Old 07-13-2003, 04:18 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Default Re: Timing question (isosceles)

Ahhhhhh....that makes sense.

I got the car started back up with the wires moved over one space and the timing seemed to be a bit better. The problem is that the vacuum canister on the distributor is now hitting the firewall. Oh well, till tomorrow. The new starter is working GREAT!! It actually starts more than once ever four hours now.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing question

Quick Reply: Timing question