C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alu heads OR Injection..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 06:39 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alu heads OR Injection..

I`m beginning to pick out the parts i want for my new 461.The bottom end will be a 2 bolt block with a cast crank and 3/8 ARP rods( maybe A forged Scat crank and Eagle ESP rods,dont know yet) and TRW 2349 11:1 forged pistons.
The question is about the top.Where to spend the money to get the best "bang for the buck".Injection or Alu heads :confused:
:cheers: :cheers:
Old 07-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Alu heads OR Injection.. (BB wowbagger)

If I had to choose I would go FI. You can run almost as high a comp with iron heads and FI than you can with alum heads and carb, check out the Impala SS's with iron headed LT1's and 11/1 comp.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

best power for least money will be to get the best flowing heads.
EFI is best cruising mpg, for cars driven 10,000 miles or more a year it can't be beat.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:06 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess it would depend on your priorities for the car. You'll get better mileage and tuneability with the EFI but you won't drop the 80lbs of weight that you would of with aluminum heads and the heads are normally the key to your power potential. Hard call to make there, in my case I'd be looking at the heads first, but I try to make my car handle too, so I'm always looking for any place to drop weight, and if I can drop weight and increase power at the same time it's great.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 07-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Fevre
Race Director

I should have added one cond to my FI first, if you think you want to go alum heads and fi, go alum heads first then switch to FI will be much quicker.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:55 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Alu heads OR Injection.. (Fevre)

As i thought,the right way is to go with a nice set of heads,first :thumbs:
I`m looking at the Edelbrocks,but my friend says that i should buy the GM Signature series.But they are "bare" and needs everything..maybe its time to look through E bay again :cheers:
Old 07-12-2003, 12:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Hejsan,

I'm using the Edelbrock "roval port" heads. You can take a look at my website for dynoresults when going from cast iron, small valve heads and a 219/229 hydraulic cam to the edelbrock heads anda 224/230 hydraulic roller. Gained about 65 hp at the wheels.

As for EFI, it really depends on how much you drive it. I drive mine every day, rain or shine. I have never regretted going EFI. Instat starts, no matter the temp, no vapor lock, much better mileage, no fuel smell after parking and better driveability.

But if you only drive it on weekends and not in traffic, you can probably run a carb without really missing out on much.

BTW, when I bought mine it was almost stock and got 9 mpg city and dynoed 250 rwhp. Now (heads/cam/EFI) it dynoes close to 400 rwhp and gets 12+ mpg city. Technology is wonderful. :cool:
Old 07-12-2003, 04:03 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Alu heads OR Injection.. (zwede)

Tjenare,tjenare..

Zwede,That was alot of usefull info on your page,thanks...Any plans on coming to Sweden and stuff some Edelbrocks in your handbagage? :D :cheers:
Old 07-12-2003, 04:18 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Alum heads and a new design carb or GM TPI are your best value.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:47 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the aluminum heads first. If the motor is out and you plan on EFI, I would install the fuel lines now. You could fab both lines from 1/2" aluminum tubing & cap off the return line at each end until you are ready for fuel injection.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:54 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Alu heads OR Injection.. (71coupe)

Get the aluminum heads first. If the motor is out and you plan on EFI, I would install the fuel lines now. You could fab both lines from 1/2" aluminum tubing & cap off the return line at each end until you are ready for fuel injection.
Yes,thats sounds like an idea.. :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 07-12-2003, 10:26 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Spend the money on alum heads now. Get your carb tuned correctly and you will be happy. You can always upgrade to FI later. Check out Air Flow Research website ( www.airflowresearch.com, if their big block heads flow like thier small block heads, you should be very happy. you will pay a little more, but they should be worth it.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:24 AM
J. Swisher
Advanced

Gm performance parts makes some nice alum. heads. for the street and your combination of motor. I would definately stick with Oval port heads. You wont be able to rev your motor high enough to take advantage of the Rectangle port heads with stock rods and crank. Rectangle port heads only come into play above 6000rpm, if like most people your motor probably wont spend the most time here. Also if you stay with Oval port heads you will be able to use stock location exhaust manifolds, since many rect. port heads have raised exhaust runners and could require custom massaging be done to your headers. There is plenty of power to be made with Oval Ports just my .02
Old 07-13-2003, 05:42 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Alu heads OR Injection.. (J. Swisher)

Rect port is not an option.I like the grunt the ovals give me.The engine will have a limit of 6KRpm to be on the safe side.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:15 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Al. heads. Less weight & better handling.

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Alu heads OR Injection..

Quick Reply: Alu heads OR Injection..