C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outfitting a C3 with cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 03:39 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Outfitting a C3 with cruise control

I've got a '69 Corvette, when did cruise control get adapted? All I'd want buttons for are on, off and set; I don't need a coast or resume button. How does cruise control get routed? Does it interact with the distributor? I've also noticed that on newer cars, it takes a higher speed in order for cruise control to activate. A 1984 Ford Ranger we have at the house can cruise at 25 MPH, whereas a 1991 Dodge Caravan can't come on below 35 MPH; I would like a system that activates at 25 MPH. How do I do this?
Old 07-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Outfitting a C3 with cruise control (1969Vette350)

Cruise control became available as a factory option on the 1977 Vette. The on-off button was on the end of the tilt wheel lever. The next year, the button was moved to the end of the turn signal lever.

I installed my own cruise control on my 1976 Vette years ago. I used the complete system from a late 70s Chev Caprice. Back then, you could purchase a complete kit that included cables, transducer, turn signal lever, vacuum throttle actuator, nuts, screws, wiring harness, etc).

The following information is valid for Corvettes from 1969 through 1976.

I fabricated a small bracket to mount the cruise control transducer on the back side of the A6 air conditioning compressor on the passenger side of the engine compartment. This allowed me to use the speedo cable in the kit that connected from the transmission up to the transducer. It fit exactly!

The cool part was that I was able to take the existing speedo cable (the one that originally went from the speedometer to the transmission); disconnected it from the transmission and routed it around the engine compartment and attached it to the transducer. So I didn't have to mess around under the dash with removing the original cable off the back of the speedometer cluster.

I don't remember where the vacuum diaphram was located to pull on the throttle linkage but it was a straight forward installation.

There was a brake pedal switch that came with the kit that disengaged the cruise when the brake pedal was depressed.

If you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column, you will need a turn signal lever with the cruise button on the end. (The kind that attaches to the steering column with a single screw). You will only need to remove the steering wheel and hub. There should be a hole in the locking plate that will allow you to reach inside the column to reach the turn signal lever screw). Fish the cruise wires down through the column before attaching the lever.

If you have a T&T steering column, you will need a screw-in turn signal lever that has a cruise on/off switch on the end of the lever. First, you will have to fish the cruise wires and connector down through the column. Not the easiest job in the world. After you have the wires in place, pull back a couple inches of cruise wire which you will need to wrap around the turn signal lever (the same number of turns that it takes to screw the lever into the post inside the column). Now as you are screwing the lever into the post, pull the wire down through the column as you unwind the wrap.

My Vette had a 4 speed manual transmission, I don't remember having a switch on the clutch to disengage the cruise if you depressed the clutch pedal. You just had to remember to tap the brakes to disengage the cruise.

The system worked perfectly for the several years that I owned the 76.

[Modified by Jim Shea, 8:07 AM 7/12/2003]
Old 07-12-2003, 08:18 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Re: Outfitting a C3 with cruise control (1969Vette350)

Last year I was looking at putting a cruise unit on my 73 Corvette. I found a unit made Rostra that fits. There was a local dealer and his price installed was $242.00. Rostra had a website, http://www.rostra.com, that i got some information from. I was/am, if I get the money, going to get kit #2501223 with switch #2503032, mounts on the end of the turn signal, and a signal generator #2504160.
It apears that Rostra is the remains of Dana Corp, there the ones that made cruise for alot of factory cars in the 70's & 80's, they also made kits. I installed three of the kits on my familiy's cars in the late 70's & early 80's.
Let me know what cruise unit you use.
Roger
Old 07-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Outfitting a C3 with cruise control

i use a $12 hand throttle. kind of low tech, but it works for me.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:34 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Outfitting a C3 with cruise control

Cool, thanks for the information guys. I do have a T&T column with the 4 speed. Would you think there could be any way to run another "disengage" wire to the clutch pedal?

Get notified of new replies

To Outfitting a C3 with cruise control

Quick Reply: Outfitting a C3 with cruise control