C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my t top tried to fly off

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:33 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my t top tried to fly off

i have found my problum already but i would like to know how it happened. i was on my way home a week ago and i noticed a hiss sound coming form my driverside t top seal. it was a smal air leak, so i figured i just needed new seals and planed to replace them over the long winter here in CNY. but this morning on my way to work i was gfoing around 80 and the sound sound was there, but all of a sudden the hole front of my t top came up off the seal about a 1/4 inch. awww crap i said and when i slowed down to almost a stop it reseald its self. come to find out after i got looking at it when i got to work, the little bolt thats in the latch that atcually clamps to the front window had fallen out. like i said befor how?? its latched so the blot cant just work its self out. the only thing i can think of is when i had the tops off 2 weeks ago that bolt fell out and i never noticed. has this ever happened to any one else, and how do you keep it from haping again. its 17.00 for a new bolt and bushing form mid america. i think its a little high priced for a bolt thats a inch long.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:49 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: my t top tried to fly off (gravismaximus)

The bolts on my tops are nearly screwed all the way out too! Probably due to the rubber t-top gasket compressing over time.
I have new weatherstrip to install but I would like to have the car painted before installing it.

I once actually saw a t-top fly off of a Pontiac Trans-Am while it was making a pass at the drag strip. :smash:
Old 07-12-2003, 02:55 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my t top tried to fly off (MIKER)

$17 buck bolt is a whole lot cheaper that 1200 buck tops...think bout it.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:30 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: my t top tried to fly off (81' Corvette Guy)

Use a little lock-tite when you install the new one then take the others out and put some lock-tite on them as well. Make sure you get the weakest version of lock-tite (I thinks it's the blue stuff) because if you use the strongest you will have a really hard time getting them to loosen back up for furture adjustments when necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To my t top tried to fly off

Quick Reply: my t top tried to fly off