C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on new Radio/Cassette

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:26 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on new Radio/Cassette

Want to replace the original radio with either the Kenwood or Custom Autosound. I would like to hear which is the most popular with the forum.
I don't want to go with the CD option at this time because I like the little room in the rear for the t-tops and picnic basket.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Opinions on new Radio/Cassette (bl75vette)

I have the Custom Ato Sound KNW801, which IS a Kenwood. I'm satisfied. but then again I'm running it through a 500w Kenwood amp into an 8" sub, rockford fosgates, and pioneers .... need ooommph! with a vert y'know :D
Old 07-11-2003, 11:23 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

well get a in dash multi cd player, they cost a little more but theres room, or just get a single cd in dash player and just bring some extra cd's along, thats what i do. as for what deck, i would go with pioneer, or sony. my deak was 300 when i bought it last year, it has all kinds of animations on the screen, mines on the indy race car. there nice and it aint that much any more. i know what you mean about wanting to leave the back area open for the t tops. i put my sub box back there, now i cant take my tops off unless i put them in the passanger seat---lol look at my sig for more info on my sound options
Old 07-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Steve81
Instructor

I went with the Kenwood Stereo and put a 6 disc FM mod CD changer, MTX 500 watt amp & 10" sub/box with a 3-way crossover to my 6x9's in the rear compartment. To save room for my T-tops a put a 8" wide shelf on 2-2x4s and carpeted the whole deal with some cheap carpet, now when i take my T-Tops off i slide them under the shelf. Only problem is on the side with the sub some of my rear window is blocked off. But who looks back anyway. :jester
Old 07-12-2003, 12:37 AM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Opinions on new Radio/Cassette (Steve81)

Get one of these faceplate kits from Vette Specialties:

Then get a nice CD player of your choice, and then you can start planning the rest of your audio system. I went the Custom Autosound route once. They sell you cheap head units at top dollar prices just to give you the right **** spacing and they claim that they are saving you from cutting up your priceless 160 dollar guage bezel. I am sorry, I would rather pay 160 bucks for a repro bezel, then anywhere from 150-300 bucks for a truely good head unit than use an uncut bezel and overpay for a 100 dollar crappy head unit. I did make that mistake once. I won't make it again.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Steve81
Instructor

Default Re: Opinions on new Radio/Cassette (A C)

I agree with not paying more than $100 for the Kenwood, i paid $99 from crutchfield. As far as $160 bezel plus $150-$300 for a head unit, now you talking $300-$460 just for the head unit set-up. I think i paid under $400 for the unit, 6 CD changer and new pioneer 6x9's & 4X6's (i added the sub, crossover and amp later). Granted, it is not a high-end system, but a big improvement over a stock stereo & speakers. Plus you get to play all your old 70's cassettes! :D
Old 07-12-2003, 03:05 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenwood. :thumbs:
Old 07-12-2003, 10:29 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

For the cost of those Autosound units, you can get an excellent Kenwood model from a actual Audio Store.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on new Radio/Cassette

Quick Reply: Opinions on new Radio/Cassette